Windows 8 Sucks

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by William Hack, Jan 7, 2013.

1. William Hack

William Hack Junior Member

I upgraded to Win 8 from 7 and found it to suck. Nothing uninstalls or updates after you have gone to Win 8. I wish I never upgraded and as Win 7 was working just fine I wish I would have stayed with it. Win 8 does nothing for me at this time.

#1 William Hack, Jan 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  2. nOOky

nOOky Senior member

IBTL. Have you had a chance to read through the thread stickied at the top of this page?

3. Nothinman

Nothinman Elite Member

I came into this thread looking for real facts on what's wrong with Win8 and found it to suck.

4. MontyAC

MontyAC Diamond Member

Nothing to see here :(

5. cheez

cheez Golden Member

Nothingman, when people say it sucks it sucks. There is reason why people make such remarks. Considering how Win7 sucks to me I'm sure the Win8 is even worse.

Hey do you know the fix to have my internal 3TB hard drive to be recognized as full 3TB in Server 2003? It's only seeing as 750GB. You got any quick fix / patch to this thing?

thanks,

cheezy

6. lxskllr

lxskllr Lifer

Saying something sucks without backing it up with facts is meaningless, especially when everyone doesn't think it sucks.

For the hd, is it a MBR issue? MBR can't utilize partitions over 2tb. You'd need GPT

Edit:
    gb - tb

7. cheez

cheez Golden Member

I tried by converting to GPT disk via disk mgmt but it made no difference. It only sees it as 750GB. I tell ya Server 2003 sux!

8. lxskllr

lxskllr Lifer

Maybe the drive is bad. I may be talking out my ass, but 750gb would be one platter in a 4 platter system. Maybe the heads are dead on the rest?

9. cheez

cheez Golden Member

^ I really doubt it. It's a brand new drive. And I heard similar experiences from other users about seeing only 750GB with their server 2003 OS.

10. Nothinman

Nothinman Elite Member

No, when people say something sucks that just means they think it sucks. They're entitled to that opinion, but it's just an opinion. I've been saying every release of Windows sucks for the past ~20 years and yet people keep using it for some reason.

Server 2003 from SP1 and up should support GPT without a problem, do you have at least SP1? If so, then converting to GPT is the right answer and really all you need to do. If the volume is still showing at 750G it might just be grown to include the remaining free space.

11. Zxian

Zxian Senior member

Or the hardware he's using doesn't support volumes that large. I ran Server 2003 with 1TB and 2TB drives without any issues (both of which show up as more than 750TiB in Disk Management). Poor controllers or incorrect drivers could cause his issues.

I spell PEBKAC. I've run everything from 2000 to 2008R2 (haven't had the time to test out Win8/2012 yet) without any issues.

12. lakedude

lakedude Golden Member

Windows 8 had some nice features. The entire OS does not "suck".

That said the UI sucks for desktop and especially for laptops with touch-pads. One should not need to "learn how to use Metro", one should be able just use Metro.

Would it really have been that hard to include things like a start menu including a stinking off button? There really should be an option on first boot to configure W8 perhaps 3 ways, one for touch screen, one for desktop and one for touch-pad laptop.

I've pretty much got it figured out now but it shouldn't have been so difficult.

The edge swipes are the worst when you have a touch-pad! That crap needs to be off for touch-pad users or full screen Metro stuff just pops up seemingly from nowhere.

Yes a registry edit will solve the problem but it should be easier than all that...

13. Nothinman

Nothinman Elite Member

Possible but unlikely. The last hardware size issue I ran into was IDE/PATA controllers not supporting LBA48 and that was a decade ago. But that's simple to rule out just by looking in Windows' Disk Management MMC snap-in.

14. colonelciller

colonelciller Senior member

same goes for people who say it's great... all just opinions. Different people have different things that they value. One guy likes "under the hood improvements", another gal likes the fact that her new computer prohibits her for ever installing an OS other than the one that came pre-installed... and yet another likes the start button, quick launch bar and Windows 7 to the exclusion of windows 8.

Opinions are all we have. The only relevant question is did they make an OS with Metro that garners an overwhelming acceptance or an overwhelming rejection (of opinion).

QED

15. Nothinman

Nothinman Elite Member

The question is barely relevant because the large majority of people will get Win8 with their new PC and stick with it regardless of their initial shock and fear. I'm not sure how much MS will push forward with the Start Screen or if they'll back-peddle some and offer an alternative, but the reality is that most people want Windows even if they can't articulate why and will just use whatever MS gives them. Just like has already happened with the XP "Fisher Price UI", Vista all around complaints and whatever other bitching has come with virtually every release of Windows.

16. cheez

cheez Golden Member

Nothingman, it has Service Pack 2. Like I said I tried converting to GPT disk but it still only limited to 750GB. Guess what, I checked out Microsoft KB and it mentions the Server 2003 does not have support for large drives (3TB and higher).

Looks like the only way to get this drive to work is for me to setup a dual boot, Server 2008. Or setup a NAS or another computer.

This shucks....

17. Nothinman

Nothinman Elite Member

What's the URL for the KB that you found? Can you post a screenshot of Disk Management? One would think if it didn't support 3TB drives you would see 2.xTB, not 750G.

18. imagoon

imagoon Diamond Member

Ssssh don't tell that to my 2k3 server with the 8TB lun. You are seeing controller issues. It needs a firmware update / updated drivers.

19. uallas5

uallas5 Senior member

QFT...got one 2003 server here that has a 8TB SAN.

20. cheez

cheez Golden Member

Here you go Nothingman.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2581408

21. cheez

cheez Golden Member

I'm talking about an internal hard drive, not external USB hard drives or SAN. I have no problem accessing my 3TB external USB hard drive.

22. Nothinman

Nothinman Elite Member

Then that definitely says it's a controller or driver issue and not anything with Server 2003 itself.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/gg463525.aspx

23. cheez

cheez Golden Member

#23 cheez, Jan 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  24. KeypoX

KeypoX Diamond Member

Great and Sucks are meaningless and claims of people that cannot express themselves. It isn't all just opinions, there are plenty of facts supporting claims that win8 is faster, and that it is less efficient.

You have to weigh your options. Personally I like the new features and added benefits, and with start8 I'm content.

25. IHAVEAQUESTION

IHAVEAQUESTION Golden Member

Why should average Joe care what you like when you can't provide facts to back it up either?

Opinion is not meaningless. It's just cheap. Because everyone can have one.