Windows 8 RT vs Windows Phone 8

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by YueHong, Oct 27, 2012.

1. YueHong

YueHong Member

What is the difference between Windows 8 RT with Windows Phone 8? Both of them run on ARM processor and install apps from apps store. Does Apps run on Windows Phone 8 will be able to run on Windows 8 RT?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Windows Windows Phone Forum Date
    Windows 8 (for tablet/mobile phone) will fail because Metro interface extremely UGLY! Operating Systems Jul 24, 2012
    Is there a limit if activate over phone instead of windows activation servers ? Operating Systems May 2, 2011
    Can't find the XP activation window for phone activation! Operating Systems May 12, 2006
    Where is Windows 2000 phone and modem options saved? Operating Systems Mar 10, 2006
    Windows XP phoning home Operating Systems Apr 17, 2002

3. JackMDS

JackMDS Super Moderator<BR>Elite Member
    Super Moderator

4. YueHong

YueHong Member

Thanks for the link. I fully understand about the difference between Windows 8 and Windows 8 RT. But I am referring to Windows 8 RT and Windows Phone 8. What is the difference inside? Can apps designed for windows phone 8 works with windows 8?

5. dagamer34

dagamer34 Platinum Member

While the underpinnings are the same, the apps themselves are different from a user standpoint. You can't pull an iOS and run a phone app on the table or vice versa.

From a developer standpoint, Microsoft states you'll get about 70-80% of code re-use and only need to build appropriate UI. The way I see it, I would built the Windows 8 app first since it's harder to design for, then make the Windows Phone app which should be easier if you have a snap view in Windows 8.