Windows 8 makes your SSD faster!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
Proof.

Sonar X1 Producer used to launch in 5 seconds with Win7.
With 8 it launches in 3 seconds.

I use registry life to defrag my registry. It used to take 3 minutes to do. Now it defrags the registry in couple seconds. Its free app. After upgrade my registry size was smaller btw..... and I gained 16GB free space ... :) yep its 16GB less then 7 :) once you use classic shell , free app you get smart menu and many options boot into desktop etc, its deep OS, I got it tweaked nice, , and I play with metro on other screen eheh.. gl :eek:

This has gone on long enough. TB, you need to think before you post. As it is you're posting something close to nonsense.
-ViRGE

Last edited by a moderator:

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
How is your install size 16gb smaller? Win7 and Win8 are almost identical in size. I think 32bit is 16gb and the 64bit version is 20gb for both OS's. I went from Win7 ultimate to Win8 pro and the free space on my ssd was about the same after I deleted the windows.old file and that hidden one with a weird name.

Are you sure you're just not imagining these huge differences when they are not really there?

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Just search for some of his previous threads and it'll become obvious...

LOL! So, boot time is faster. That is really not relevant with a 24/7 system, and access to work programs is slower because you have to wade through additional layers unless you use Start8's desktop. :)

CryHavoc

Golden Member
Jan 17, 2003
It might make your ssd faster, but sure as heck, Windows 8 makes me slower...where's the darn start button...grrr I can't do a thing...lol

I went back to good ol trusty win 7

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
It might make your ssd faster, but sure as heck, Windows 8 makes me slower...where's the darn start button...grrr I can't do a thing...lol

I went back to good ol trusty win 7
Can't agree more. :D Here's Start8 if you want to give it another go.

W8 as a whole is great but brought down by its attempt to mash up a tablet and desktop experience. If they kept Modern UI minus the desktop on tablet, its awesome. The same goes for desktop W8, get rid of the Modern UI and stick with the usual desktop.

The experience is not seamless with separate photo, music and video programs for the desktop and Modern UI. The default was linked to the Modern UI apps. I had to switch them to the usual desktop application. Don't get me started with the missing Windows Aero on W8, I really liked the transparency that W7 had.

W8 is definitely faster but when you need more steps to achieve the same thing, it drops in user friendliness. Glad I went with W8 as a VM. Having it as my main OS will be a PITA.

Coup27

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2010
Are you saying you DON'T DEFRAG YOUR REGISTERY ON AN SSD? Everyone's doeng it bro.
I think the only people who defrag their registry are the ones who have no idea how to use a computer. I have never defragged a registry in my life.

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
Can't agree more. :D Here's Start8 if you want to give it another go.

W8 as a whole is great but brought down by its attempt to mash up a tablet and desktop experience. If they kept Modern UI minus the desktop on tablet, its awesome. The same goes for desktop W8, get rid of the Modern UI and stick with the usual desktop.

The experience is not seamless with separate photo, music and video programs for the desktop and Modern UI. The default was linked to the Modern UI apps. I had to switch them to the usual desktop application. Don't get me started with the missing Windows Aero on W8, I really liked the transparency that W7 had.

W8 is definitely faster but when you need more steps to achieve the same thing, it drops in user friendliness. Glad I went with W8 as a VM. Having it as my main OS will be a PITA.

Couldn't agree any more!

Just search for some of his previous threads and it'll become obvious...

And +1000 to this!

zCypher

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2002
start 8 suxx
this is a way better option and it disable the metro gui
http://softwareguidesandtutorials.blogspot.be/

I wouldn't say Start8 sucks. I've been trying it out for a while, and it's pretty damn good. I'll concede that it's not perfect, nor is it equal to the experience I was used to in Win7, but it is pretty good and a lot better than no start menu as far as a daily personal/work machine is concerned. I've run into a couple of times when it became non responsive for no apparent reason, and that was annoying.

I've never seen the workaround you posted, anyone ever use it? Comments on it? I preferred the Consumer Preview where you could just change the registry setting for RPEnabled and you'd have the *real* start menu back and it worked flawlessly.

Still, overall Windows 8 is pretty damn good. I played around with Metro for a while, I definitely can't use it as my main UI on my desktop. I could see it being awesome for an HTPC though.

tulx

Jul 12, 2011
If you learn to use it properly, the start screen is much more efficient than the start menu ever was.
The fact that you don't have to navigate Start->Programs->Program->*.exe, because there are no sub-menus on the start screen should make this advantage pretty obvious. You just press Win->click on the program. Bind the "Win" key to one of your extra mouse keys.

Or press Win and start typing the name of the program to find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.