Windows 8 is amazing! Here is why.

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by tweakboy, Nov 6, 2012.

1. tweakboy

tweakboy Diamond Member

Ok so I did the upgrade and all my stuff was retained and worked. Then I noticed I have 125GB free when I had 148GB free with Windows 7. Turns out there is a Windows.old folder ,, with basic OS in it but its 40GB you cant just erase it wont let you. So you go through disk cleanup and there is options to rid of it. After I got rid of it I had now 160GB free. Yes Windows 8 Pro is 12GB less then Windows 7. I havent installed any apps or games guys.

Then I go to myself, the registry must be huge and cluttered, was I wrong.
    I ran registry life to defrag the registry. I have been doing this for years with Windows 7 and my rig and even with SSD still the process takes 3 minutes.

So I go let me defrag, I clicked it and 5 seconds later it was done. The size of the registry is now smaller then Windows 7 registry at about 116MB couple kb less then 7. WOW

Things are soo fast and AERO is much smoother , I got free app classic start free app, and has soo many options and gives you W7 start menu without having to disable metro,, so i switch to metro by holding shift and pressing the start button...and if I just go press start button you can have XP start menu or vista or classic or 7... Things now look like my 7 but I love the interface changes in explorer and other enhancments. I boot straight into desktop , classic shell gives you that option too. I just lost my gadgets :(

Also speedfan and coretemp will not load at windows startup. I have to launch it manually both of them, they work just have to be launched manually...

:thumbsup:

2. KeypoX

KeypoX Diamond Member

Cool story bro lol

I thought Aero was gone? Why wont coretemp/speedfan load at startup.

There are some hacks to get gadgets back, I really miss them it would be awesome if someone made it so tiles could be added to the desktop ie gadgets.

I copied a bunch of files and really liked that graph with file copies.

3. tweakboy

tweakboy Diamond Member

Thanks KeypoX you rock. Thanks for reading...True AERO is soo Vista. I love the new interface,, everything is flat and crisp. XP and vista and 7 was bubbly and you press button it goes in,, Along with IE10 everything is flat and simple.. soo nice. no shiny crapola I was tired of AERO even with skins. This interface of 8 is completly different interface soo sexy and simple.

4. lxskllr

lxskllr Lifer

Weren't you complaining about Win8 last week? :^D

5. yinan

yinan Golden Member

I thought there was a rule against creating threads that are blatantly false?

6. nemesismk2

nemesismk2 Diamond Member

I like the way you describe windows 8, it sounds like something i would like lol ;)

7. blurredvision

And the week before, and the week before that...

8. hhhd1

hhhd1 Senior member

That is a good question.

9. dighn

dighn Lifer

Are you being sarcastic? Cuz I am not impressed...

10. zCypher

zCypher Diamond Member

Thank you for this. I noticed the same old folder and couldn't delete it, but didn't realize disk cleanup could fix that. Previous windows installation - 17.3GB, temporary windows installation files - 6.73GB. Sweet!

11. tweakboy

tweakboy Diamond Member

Guys I bit the bullet. Little did I know on my top screen I can have metro app and bottom desktop . with classic shell here is my desktop and metro running at the same time,, on dual screen.... overall I love the new flat interface and enhancements to explorer and the OS , the taskbar rocks now,, everything is flat solid simple.. I Love it not shiny and btw no transluceny in W8 ,, this is the best OS ever! Ive had about 20 hours with it,,, Metro is only useful to do 1 things. Run free metro apps you have downloaded,, and I love the full screen and you just keep scrolling ,, but it has bugs as well,, The fonts in metro are messed up , anyhow metro is for metro windows 8 phone or tablet great on it.. but desktop is your core, its where you get your productivity done, and Microsoft has changed it all.. I love the copy screens and replace screen is completel simple and different not confusing dates etc etc,,IE10 is actually good guy,,,,,,,, Im gonna use it since I protected by Windows Defender ,, BTW I had to uninstall Windows Security essentials cuz 8 install windows defender looks same but has no icon in tray but its running. I just ran upgrade from my 7 took a while to install tho... and also its amazing how it learns and gets faster and faster as you use it....... amazing......Couple bugs 4 bugs maybe But also Im using NVidia 310.33 beta and that might be problem for 2 of the bugs,, gl love you all! I love my new OS soo refreshing after 2010 March when I installed 7.. classic shell is the app btw for start menu plus you have 300 options literally within the app, it rocks , everything is much faster for example the Games folder in desktop took couple seconds to load with hard drive, with SSD and 7 it loaded, but not instantly,, there was split second delay,, now with 8 ,, that delay is gone,, and as soon as you double click all your icons are there,, 14 games that I have...... with large icons thumbs btw I use shellfolderfix.exe small free app hides in background and saves your window sizes and positions,, etc so each windows has a different size... Windows 7 broke this and it wasn't fixed with 8 so no problem I had that small exe running it saves sizes of windows and positions...... vista and XP were fine with this got broke with Windows 7 anyhow... good stuff

[​IMG]