Windows 8, How to start 64 bit internet explorer?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Compman55, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Compman55

Compman55 Golden Member

I can't find it. In 7, you could use the 32 bit (default) and the 64 bit version, all from the start menu or search.

2. lxskllr

lxskllr Lifer

Look in Program Files. I don't have a 64bit install to check, but you should find in there somewhere assuming you installed 64bit Windows.

3. Compman55

Compman55 Golden Member

There is an iexplorer in each program files and program files (x86).

When I launch them, I cant tell what is the 32 bit and the 64 bit. It doesn't tell me under about in the help menu. I don't know of any other way to tell.

4. Steltek

Steltek Golden Member

In Windows 7, the 64 bit version of IE is located in Program Files, while the 32 bit version is located in Program Files (x86).

I suspect that this carries over to Win8 as well.

5. Steltek

Steltek Golden Member

Read up a little further on this.

Apparently, the Metro version if IE10 always runs in 64 bit mode. The desktop version doesn't -- it apparently doesn't matter which location you start the desktop version from -- unless you force it to 64 bit:

http://www.lockergnome.com/windows/2012/08/25/how-to-make-internet-explorer-10-run-in-64-bit/

6. mechBgon

mechBgon Super Moderator<br>Elite Member

Using EPM also switches on AppContainer in the Desktop version of IE10. Worth noting: if you have 32-bit Windows, you effectively lose both EPM and AppContainer options. That will hold true for Win7 too, once IE10 is available on Win7.

This is a factor to consider if you're doing an upgrade from a previous Windows to Win8. If you use the $40 downloadable upgrade path, you reportedly cannot switch up to 64-bit if the existing installation is 32-bit. With the packaged upgrade kit, you get both 32 and 64 discs, and can switch up to 64 if you don't mind nuking the existing Windows/programs/settings in the process.

So I'd say if you're on a 32-bit version of Windows and want to upgrade, it's worth the extra $20ish to get the packaged upgrade, since it means you don't end up with a 4GB RAM ceiling and some of your security options missing.