Windows 8 Consumer Preview Feedback Thread

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
Thanks for the link downloading the iso now to test in virtualbox.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001

reallyscrued

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2004
Thanks for the heads up.

Installing it on my media box right now. (Not getting any recent use.)

Wish I would've seen the ISO installer earlier...but whatever.

The little program does a compatibility check and told me 2 things need my attention:

Both ATI Catalyst Control Center. What the hell?

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
say w00t w00t!!

i have been using the developer preview since it came out, i'll have to switch to this one when i get some time

w00t w00t!!

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I'm not really that interested. Seems too much like a mobile OS to a desktop OS. I don't want Apps and category windows staring at me every time I boot up.

WT

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2000
I was very interested in the Win7 preview, but 8 ... ehh, not so much. I don't like change, and with 7 being so close to Vista it was easy enough to get quickly acquainted with it.

Win 8 brings too much mobile, too much social apps, too much of what I don't want. My PC functions as a front-end for my games primarily, and even my Touchpad works like I want it with no need to load Android.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I'm not really that interested. Seems too much like a mobile OS to a desktop OS. I don't want Apps and category windows staring at me every time I boot up.

I try to keep up with Windows for support purposes, and just to see what they're up to. Otherwise, I'm not interested in Windows of any kind.

On a side note; how did the whole computer industry flake out at the same time? Gnome3, Unity, Win8... They shifted into retard mode. The interfaces are fine when used on the appropriate devices, but are inappropriate for desktop use.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I try to keep up with Windows for support purposes, and just to see what they're up to. Otherwise, I'm not interested in Windows of any kind.

On a side note; how did the whole computer industry flake out at the same time? Gnome3, Unity, Win8... They shifted into retard mode. The interfaces are fine when used on the appropriate devices, but are inappropriate for desktop use.

Seems like they got blindsided by someone finally doing tablets right, and the only timely response they could manage is to hack their desktop OS into a tablet OS.

If anything, this is probably going to vindicate apple's dual OS strategy. The right tools for the right platform. I don't want my desktop to have to make sacrifices to its multitasking model because of the needs of tablets and smartphones. It's just ridiculous. One size doesn't fit all.

Scouzer

Lifer
Jun 3, 2001
Well, I installed this for poops on my HTPC last night. What a piece of shit. Totally disappointed.

It's basically Windows 7 with an incredibly intrusive, low function Metro UI slapped on top. The Metro UI has very little integration with the rest of Windows and really feels like third party software, not part of the core OS. I can't believe this is all Microsoft has accomplished since the release of Windows 7.

The tradition holds true--only buy every other version of Windows.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Seems like they got blindsided by someone finally doing tablets right, and the only timely response they could manage is to hack their desktop OS into a tablet OS.

If anything, this is probably going to vindicate apple's dual OS strategy. The right tools for the right platform. I don't want my desktop to have to make sacrifices to its multitasking model because of the needs of tablets and smartphones. It's just ridiculous. One size doesn't fit all.

Windows 8 can run Windows 7 programs and multitask. Essentially the biggest change is the start menu becoming the start screen, otherwise you can still use the OS like you would have.

reallyscrued

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2004
Well, I installed this for poops on my HTPC last night. What a piece of shit. Totally disappointed.

It's basically Windows 7 with an incredibly intrusive, low function Metro UI slapped on top. The Metro UI has very little integration with the rest of Windows and really feels like third party software, not part of the core OS. I can't believe this is all Microsoft has accomplished since the release of Windows 7.

The tradition holds true--only buy every other version of Windows.

Well said. And why does everything look like it was designed by a 5 year old?

Is there a way to turn Metro off?

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
good idea ill do the same.

I'm still installing, but if you hit some snags, try following this guide, it helped me get it all sorted out:

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/how-to-install-windows-8-on-virtualbox/

It's more than just the default windows 8 config, some options need to be checked/unchecked in the virtualbox settings.

Also, be sure that your processor supports virtualization and it's enabled in the Bios. I've never had issues with other OS's (XP and Ubuntu work without it), but Windows 8 definitely requires virtualization be enabled.

Last edited: