Windows 8 and non UEFI motherboards

teadad

May 28, 2013
I have a Gigabyte GA-H67A-UD3H-B3 (1155) MB. I originally installed Windows 7, then upgraded to Windows 8 PRO. I want to do a Clean Windows 8 install.

My problem is... I can't get into the bios to change boot sequences (to boot to Win 8 disk) because the Win 8 boot time is so fast. According to threads I have read apparently their is only a .2 second opportunity to use your "del" key to access bios during boot up.

The only work around I have seen requires a UEFI bios (I don't have) that is accessed through Win 8.

The other option seems to be through Win 8 as well (PC settings; Advanced startup; change bios)... except when I try to access the bios through Win 8 my screen freezes up and I cannot select the right option.

All I want is a Clean Install... any ideas on how to get in my bios?

Thanks.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
have you tried holding the del key from power up on?

or you could just disconnect the drive cables so there isn't anything to boot off of.

R0H1T

Platinum Member
Jan 12, 2013

or you could just disconnect the drive cables so there isn't anything to boot off of.
This, or you could eject the win8 DVD at boot otherwise remove the USB drive that has the win8 setup, while it reboots, as the case maybe.

teadad

May 28, 2013

Yes, I tried holding down the del key... no luck there. I did not however think about disconnecting the cables. I have an SSD boot drive and a standard SATA HD. Disconnect BOTH?

teadad

May 28, 2013
This, or you could eject the win8 DVD at boot otherwise remove the USB drive that has the win8 setup, while it reboots, as the case maybe.
Thanks for the response... but i'm not sure I follow. I'm not using a USB drive... Windows 8 is on DVD.

R0H1T

Platinum Member
Jan 12, 2013
Thanks for the response... but i'm not sure I follow. I'm not using a USB drive... Windows 8 is on DVD.
You initiate the setup & remove the windows 8 DVD as the system is about to reboot, the DVD must be out of the tray before the next boot sequence & there is this window of at least a second or two, to remove that DVD, depending on how fast your system is.

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
FYI: the latest bios for that board is F8, dated 2012-03-27.
Normally, you need to tap (about once every second) the DEL key as soon as the power button is pushed, in order to access the bios setup screen.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Are you trying to access the BIOS after a cold boot, or after a reboot? A cold boot should give you time to hit the delete key. A reboot will give you the time you are describing.

The OS you have installed will have nothing to do with the time you have to select BIOS access. The quick boot option will affect it, if you have enabled that in the BIOS (it is set to disabled by default). If this is your problem, you can use the clear CMOS jumper to turn this option back off.

teadad

May 28, 2013
Yes, I tried holding down the del key... no luck there. I did not however think about disconnecting the cables. I have an SSD boot drive and a standard SATA HD. Disconnect BOTH?
I tried disconnecting the SSD drive (OS location). Did not work because the .2 second window of opportunity to hit the delete button happens BEFORE the MB realizes the SSD is not connected. I just get a "Disk Boot Failure" message. No help getting into the bios.

teadad

May 28, 2013
Are you trying to access the BIOS after a cold boot, or after a reboot? A cold boot should give you time to hit the delete key. A reboot will give you the time you are describing.

The OS you have installed will have nothing to do with the time you have to select BIOS access. The quick boot option will affect it, if you have enabled that in the BIOS (it is set to disabled by default). If this is your problem, you can use the clear CMOS jumper to turn this option back off.
I've tried it after a cold boot as well... and it is just too fast to recognize the keystroke of the delete key. Again, I have read that the window of opportunity is .2 seconds in Win 8 for the bios to react.

teadad

May 28, 2013

As far as the OS not determining the boot time... that is not what I am reading. Several articles out there say the opposite... which is one of the reasons for the UEFI... which can be accessed in WIN 8.

teadad

May 28, 2013
FYI: the latest bios for that board is F8, dated 2012-03-27.
Normally, you need to tap (about once every second) the DEL key as soon as the power button is pushed, in order to access the bios setup screen.
I actually thought of that... but I have the same problem... in order to update the bios you have to hit "end" during boot up. Not enough time in WIN 8.

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
Almost sounds like the board isn't recognizing your keyboard. Try a PS2 keyboard. If it works, turn on USB emulation in the bios.

alexruiz

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2001
As the others have pointed out, win8/win7/linux make absolutely no difference to enter the BIOS. Are you using a KVM?

Gigabyte boards usually don't like KVMs, and some like the GA-970A-UD3 are almost impossible to configure because it takes a lot of tries with the del key to make it into the bios. Your board seems to be the same. Try using the DEL key that is closer to the enter key, keep trying, it has nothing to do with win 8 or uefi.

teadad

May 28, 2013
As the others have pointed out, win8/win7/linux make absolutely no difference to enter the BIOS. Are you using a KVM?

Gigabyte boards usually don't like KVMs, and some like the GA-970A-UD3 are almost impossible to configure because it takes a lot of tries with the del key to make it into the bios. Your board seems to be the same. Try using the DEL key that is closer to the enter key, keep trying, it has nothing to do with win 8 or uefi.
I understand other keep pointing out the OS makes "absolutely no difference to enter the BIOS... but why are there several articles out there saying the opposite?

Here is a link for one http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2404828,00.asp

teadad

May 28, 2013

Sorry no idea what KVM is... :)

teadad

May 28, 2013
Thanks for the suggestions everyone... don't have the time to delay... so forced into upgrading my MB to one with a UEFI BIOS so it can be accessed with WIN 8.

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
If you start the W8 setup within W8, it should reboot to the windows setup anyway, where you can select clean install.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
I understand other keep pointing out the OS makes "absolutely no difference to enter the BIOS... but why are there several articles out there saying the opposite?

Here is a link for one http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2404828,00.asp

I don't quite understand/agree with what that article is saying. The F8 key stroke they are referring to still doesn't occur until Windows starts loading. They may be throwing in UEFI, which does not apply to you motherboard. An OS cannot make POST go faster. Now, most new computer that come with Windows 8 have UEFI, in which case this could be a legitimate concern.

teadad

May 28, 2013
I don't quite understand/agree with what that article is saying. The F8 key stroke they are referring to still doesn't occur until Windows starts loading. They may be throwing in UEFI, which does not apply to you motherboard. An OS cannot make POST go faster. Now, most new computer that come with Windows 8 have UEFI, in which case this could be a legitimate concern.
i appreciate the response but Microsoft has even admitted it! I don't pretend to have the understanding behind it... but just feel it is a fact in my case. there is nothing wrong with my keyboard either... (one suggestion that was made). I just finished putting in the new Gigabyte MB... (Z77-DS3H with UEFI) and everything working great. I still think for many who have a MB with a non UEFI BIOS in Win 8 are going to have problems getting into BIOS.

Thanks again to all who offered suggestions.

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
i appreciate the response but Microsoft has even admitted it! I don't pretend to have the understanding behind it... but just feel it is a fact in my case. there is nothing wrong with my keyboard either... (one suggestion that was made). I just finished putting in the new Gigabyte MB... (Z77-DS3H with UEFI) and everything working great. I still think for many who have a MB with a non UEFI BIOS in Win 8 are going to have problems getting into BIOS.

I have created heaps of w8 virtual machines, none of which has UEFI BIOS, and neither does the any of the workstations at my work which have W8 on them...

R0H1T

Platinum Member
Jan 12, 2013

Like me ? I've never had a problem with quick boot/POST although my board being a previous gen model, without an SSD, does have a bearing on this.