Windows 8 and Non UEFI Bios

Mir96TA

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2002
I have an old school MB, which is GA-EP45-UD3RP45UD3r Rev 1.1 Which has no such thing called UEFI.
I do have a latest BIOS (F12) on this MB, I am sure which mean nothing to Win 8.
Win 8 gives me error message
"Secure Boot isn't compatible with your PC
Your PC's firmware doesn't support Secure Boot so you won't be able to use it in Windows 8."
I am not sure secure windows 8 mean what! I can't install windows or can't use it ?
Also I can't use Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 with Wn 8 ?

0___________0

May 5, 2012
Secure Boot basically checks the certificate of anything that runs during start up to make certain that it isn't malicious. It's an optional feature that requires UEFI, if you don't have UEFI it's disabled.

I don't think Office 2003 is compatible with Windows 8.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
my secondary PC is from 2007, with 2007 bios and has no problems with windows 8, also I'm running office 2007 on it, so I would think office 2003 would also work!?

Mir96TA

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2002
Windows 8 Upgrade assistance reported "Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003
Microsoft Corporation, Version 11.0.8173.0
Not compatible"

gpse

Oct 7, 2007
you can install windows 8 without issue, secure boot is a security feature, but not mandatory.
I have a UEFI mobo, but cannot use secure boot because my video card doesn't have a UEFI BIOS, so it wont work for me either.

Mir96TA

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2002
Windows 8 Upgrade assistance reported "Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003
Microsoft Corporation, Version 11.0.8173.0
Not compatible"

What's up with MS Office 2003 ?
How come it is not compatible ?

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
What's up with MS Office 2003 ?
How come it is not compatible ?
There are reports that Office 2003 is not fully compatible, but it could be just one component has issues as was the case of Office XP/2002 on Windows Vista. Basically, the only part of Office XP/2002 that wouldn't function properly on Vista was Outlook, or some features of Outlook didn't work properly. So as long as you didn't need or install Outlook, everything else worked fine.

Mir96TA

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2002
Because it's 9 years old? If you're that cheap, just use LibreOffice ffs.

Me being Cheap ?
Heck with you!
MS should have 100 % compatiable with their own software which were to design work with XP, Visata, Win 7.
I am having a second thought about going with Win 8!

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Me being Cheap ?
Heck with you!
MS should have 100 % compatiable with their own software which were to design work with XP, Visata, Win 7.
I am having a second thought about going with Win 8!

Microsoft isn't obligated to do any of that. In almost all instances, its to their benefit to ensure backwards compatibility of their productivity software to allow for a seamless experience in the Corporate Environment.

In fact, you'll probably find more pockets like this moving forward when it comes to older software, so I suggest that you probably don't upgrade to Windows 8.

You can clearly find that Microsoft is not supporting any operating system not listed on their website:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822129

The fact that they still will some level of support through 2014 for an 11 year old product is pretty good.
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9131051/Microsoft_to_limit_Office_2003_support

Mir96TA

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2002
M.S. is obligated if they want people to do a upgrade, other wise, they will see less people would spend money toward their newer OS.
Specaially if UI is new they better bend over and make sure no Cx is being left behind.
That's why their Win 7 sell is so slugish. Vista sell was just a Joke. XP is still strong. Even though no NEW Computer can be bought with that OS.
I had a feeling Win 8 will be another Vista!
Microsoft isn't obligated to do any of that. In almost all instances, its to their benefit to ensure backwards compatibility of their productivity software to allow for a seamless experience in the Corporate Environment.

In fact, you'll probably find more pockets like this moving forward when it comes to older software, so I suggest that you probably don't upgrade to Windows 8.

You can clearly find that Microsoft is not supporting any operating system not listed on their website:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822129

The fact that they still will some level of support through 2014 for an 11 year old product is pretty good.
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9131051/Microsoft_to_limit_Office_2003_support

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
M.S. is obligated if they want people to do a upgrade, other wise, they will see less people would spend money toward their newer OS.
Specaially if UI is new they better bend over and make sure no Cx is being left behind.
That's why their Win 7 sell is so slugish. Vista sell was just a Joke. XP is still strong. Even though no NEW Computer can be bought with that OS.

Really? I mean, 10 years of support for a product is phenomenal. That support should not be expected to extend infinitely. It doesn't make sense to continue spending money testing Office 2003 when they have Office 2007, Office 2010, and Office 2013 to worry about.

podspi

Golden Member
Jan 11, 2011

Windows 7 sales were very, very good. Office 2003 is also very, very old. Sometimes you have to break backwards compatibility to move forward.

If you really need 2003 you can always run it in a VM. But I'd probably just upgrade to a more recent copy.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
I've just installed office 2003 SP3 on my Windows 8 x64 PC,
it's working as it should (at least Word and Excel)
and windows update is downloading 30 updates for it.

Last edited:

Mir96TA

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2002
Really? I mean, 10 years of support for a product is phenomenal. That support should not be expected to extend infinitely. It doesn't make sense to continue spending money testing Office 2003 when they have Office 2007, Office 2010, and Office 2013 to worry about.

They have tested and said it is Not compatiable.
They have only supported for 2 OS Vista and Win 7
10 years ? what 10 years ? Win 8 didn't just come out tomrrow
Its under development from before Win 7 came out .........

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002

Look up the definition of obligated. If your arguement truly made sense, Microsoft would have already done that. But it probably doesn't hold true. In fact, it probably makes them less money, because people would hang onto 10 year old pieces of software.

Furthermore, I'd argue that you are being illogical because you are trying to use software on a platform that doesn't support it. If you want Office 2003, go back to a version of Windows that supports it.

If you are so concerned about how you spend your money, then maybe consider alternating purchases of of Windows and of Office; that ensures you don't run into these problems, and it doesn't require you to purchase BOTH windows and office.
An upgrade to Windows 8 on an existing desktop from a functional standpoint is almost entirely useless outside of a few small use cases; even if all your software worked, you gain nothing other than Metro...which is an App to launch other apps.

Considering how much you THINK Win7 and Vista sold poorly, I'm surprised you aren't still using Windows XP.

Tell me, why don't you complain about not being able to use Office 2000, or Office97 or Office95? Shouldn't a person who owns a fully legitimate version of Office95 still be able to run it today on Windows8?

Listen you have every right to keep using Office 2003, but make sure you use it with the Supported Operating System. Don't buy Office 2003 and complain that it doesn't work on the latest version of the Iphone OS.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
office 2003 works perfectly on Windows 8.
(Word, Excel, Power point and all the updates)

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Tell me, why don't you complain about not being able to use Office 2000, or Office97 or Office95? Shouldn't a person who owns a fully legitimate version of Office95 still be able to run it today on Windows8?

IMHO, they should.

Mir96TA

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2002
Look up the definition of obligated. ..

Listen you have every right to keep using Office 2003, but make sure you use it with the Supported Operating System. Don't buy Office 2003 and complain that it doesn't work on the latest version of the Iphone OS.
The reason I didn't complain because I do not own those software.
I know for sure I can use office 95 with XP Sp3.
I didn't bough office 2003 to have it run on iPhone OS. Iphone OS is linux base OS. It is custmize by apple.
I was thinking about upgrading my OS to Win 8 from Win 7 in idea it would be comptable with my current application specially which is running fine predecessors OS. This predecessors OS made by same company with same hardware platform.
I can see some hardware driver is not supporte due to improvement on design or software.
For example MS security is not supported cause it comes with that.