windows 8.1 won't recognize external HDD dock

pegasis

May 17, 2014
my windows 8.1 machine doesn't seem to recognize/ see the HDD docked in my external HDD dock

is there some way to fix this

it used to recognize the HDD in the external dock

Cross-posted thread. I've left your other thread on this topic open.
Here: http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2418640
-Admin DrPizza

Last edited by a moderator:

pegasis

May 17, 2014
I tested the HDD in the external HDD dock on both my windows 8.1 laptop and desktop, and neither would recognize the drives in the external HDD

I have now bought a new external HDD dock and tested it also, but my HDDs in the dock are still not recognized.

what am I missing???

OlyAR15

Oct 23, 2014
Are these new drives or already formatted drives? Is the dock plugged into the PC via USB or eSATA?

If these are brand new drives, you may need to initialize the drives in Computer Management first, in order for them to show up in file explorer.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Try the dock in a USB2 port and see what happens.

corkyg

Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
I reopenened this thread since a drive dock is a USB peripheral. The version in Computer Help was the cross post. Specifically, what is your drive dock model? Are you still having the problem?

pegasis

May 17, 2014
I have tried (2) brands;
black X Duet 5G superspeed ST0022,
and kingwin EZ-dock 3

the later one worked after logging into the admin account, rather than using the UAC login
and i was able to clone the drives

corkyg

Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
I have tried (2) brands;
black X Duet 5G superspeed ST0022, and kingwin EZ-dock 3
the latter one worked after logging into the admin account, rather than using the UAC login and i was able to clone the drives

That's good to know. Your most limiting factor was USB 3.0. There are times when 3 is still flaky. For USB 2 and eSATA there are more choices. These multi-size HDD docks are really very useful.

Startech now has one that they tout that also handles SSDs.
http://www.startech.com/HDD/Docking/USB-3-HDD-Docking-Station-with-USB-Hub~SDOCKU33HB

Last edited: