Windows 8.1. as HTPC OS

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Sep 12, 2004
Windows 8 Pro and Windows Media Center (got this during the Windows Media Center 'free download' timeframe) only has DVD playback capability. I took another member on this forum's advice and snagged a copy and license of Arcsoft's Total Media Theater 6 ($40 download on Newegg) which completely restored blu-ray playback, and added features not existent in Windows 7 Windows Media Center, but it is additional costs for relatively similar capabilities.
:confused:

7MC doesn't have native Blu-ray playback either, only standard DVD. You'll still need TMT or PowerDVD for Blu-ray unless you want to use MPC-HC. And with MPC-HC you'll need AnyDVD HD to get around encryption, which is still going to cost money.

Imaginer

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
:confused:

7MC doesn't have native Blu-ray playback either, only standard DVD. You'll still need TMT or PowerDVD for Blu-ray unless you want to use MPC-HC. And with MPC-HC you'll need AnyDVD HD to get around encryption, which is still going to cost money.

Strange, I remember being able to play Blu-ray on 7's MC.

But if I am wrong (and probably am for this), then SOMEHOW I was able to get it to work in 7, but had to pay for Total Media Theater in 8.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2004
If you installed a Blu-ray player in your system and used the software with it that disk may have had PowerDVD or TMT on it that enabled BD playback on 7MC. It's definitely not native to Win7. I was hoping Win8 had it included. Since it didn't it is one of many reasons (like breaking compatibility with older extenders) that I haven't bothered to upgrade to 8.