Windows 7 XP Mode: Remote desktop

Discussion in 'Networking' started by LxMxFxD4, Feb 22, 2010.

1. LxMxFxD4

LxMxFxD4 Senior member

Anyone know whether the xp mode has built in Network Level Authentication? The reason I ask is because I can remote into my xp mode from within my domain and network, but can't seem to connect outside the network. Since there are no settings for remote desktop except "enable" I'm wondering if NLA is whats causing the failure to connect.

Anyone know?

Thanks in advance

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Windows Mode Remote Forum Date
    Windows 10 network shares Networking Sep 6, 2017
    Connecting to a media device from Windows 10? Networking Sep 4, 2017
    Suddenly slow wireless internet speeds on just one laptop. Networking Aug 28, 2017
    Anyone know how to disable Ad Hoc mode in Windows XP? Networking Feb 10, 2005
    Standby mode LNT100X NIC in Windows 98SE Networking Jan 18, 2001

3. spotdog

spotdog Junior Member

It is very easy to remote link to the computer within LAN, but if you want to link to a computer out of the LAN, there must be an IP address for this computer and this IP address is for WAN. If this computer is in another LAN, you have to Port Mapping.
    That is to say, you have to set in the router and map port 3389 to the computer which you want to connect.

4. JackMDS

JackMDS Super Moderator<BR>Elite Member
    Super Moderator

Networks can be configured in many way and I do not know how your is.

However, if it works locally from another computer on the Network (I.e not its Host only), and its listening port is opened through the Routers, Firewall or what ever protection is there it should be accessed from out of this system too.

5. LxMxFxD4

LxMxFxD4 Senior member

I appreciate your help on this but NLA would allow for LAN connections but not outside connections. Are you following? Since XP mode doesn't have a setting to choose NLA vs. Any remote connection, im just wondering what the answer is, as I still cannot remote into the xp mode from outside my LAN (i.e., the internet).

Thanks and if anyone does know the answer to this, thanks!

6. LxMxFxD4

LxMxFxD4 Senior member

Ahh well in the interest of just archiving this message, I found the answer.

I Just forgot to make a rule in my router. NLA is not enabled on XP Mode on the virtual PC :)

7. RebateMonger

RebateMonger Elite Member

Because the XP Mode that comes Windows 7 is XP SP3. NLA is disabled by default in XP SP3. As you probably already found out.