Windows 7 Professional Upgrade $29.99 Students only

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LifeStealer

Sep 22, 2004
It depends on the department. I have one license from Materials Science, one license from Electrical Engineering and one from Computer Science, same school. Don't have one for Mechanical though.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
I still have my edu address but am not a current student, can I do this? Do they actually ask for proof of attending classes?

Jeraden

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
I got in on this a few days ago. You just pop a .edu email address in, and that's where they send the download links/key. It's all automated, so no student verification takes place or anything. Download of the iso was pretty slow, other than that, it was really easy!

SithSolo1

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2001
I'm still waiting on the physical back-up to arrive. Supposedly it shipped out on the 21st.

PuppettMaster001

Golden Member
May 11, 2002
I still have my edu address but am not a current student, can I do this? Do they actually ask for proof of attending classes?

No proof required. I got my Win 7 Pro and I haven't been enrolled in classes for about a year and a half.

alrocky

Golden Member
Jan 22, 2001
FYI:

Ordered on June 27
DVD of Win 7 64 shipped on July 1
DVD of Win 7 64 arrived July 13

herkulease

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
can I use a retail disk to install or do I have to use the download version? I assume retail disc is fine.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
can I use a retail disk to install or do I have to use the download version? I assume retail disc is fine.

Im not sure why it would matter all that much? People here are reporting you can do a clean, fresh install even with this dloaded "upgade" disk.

Anyone know if vLite work with Win7?

herkulease

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
Im not sure why it would matter all that much? People here are reporting you can do a clean, fresh install even with this dloaded "upgade" disk.

Anyone know if vLite work with Win7?

Yes I read that part. I just wasn't sure if the downloaded iso is any different. I don't want to waste time downloading it if I can just use the retail disk I have and put in the "upgrade" key for the clean install.

prop329

May 21, 2005
Thank you for the link. Used my g/f's email address. Saving this for my next PC build.

thesmokingman

Platinum Member
May 6, 2010

I used a student key with my retail upgrade disc, and it worked for the 64 bit install too. I was worried it was 32 bit only, but was stoked that it worked.

Denorek

Aug 3, 2003
I think someone from MS is getting wind of this, just had my brother-in-law report that the key doesn't work during a clean install. Going to try to upgrade from WinXP.

Athena

Golden Member
Apr 9, 2001
I think someone from MS is getting wind of this, just had my brother-in-law report that the key doesn't work during a clean install. Going to try to upgrade from WinXP.

The Windows 7 Upgrade license requires that the old version be installed on the machine. When you run it on a machine with WinXP, it will wrap everything already on the machine into a "Windows.old" folder and generate a clean Windows 7 system. The user can just delete that folder once the install is completed. Vista users can do the same thing or opt for an in-place upgrade.

KIAman

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2001

If true, that kinda sucks, although, still a great deal.

Cheetah8799

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2001

There are ways to do a clean install if you don't mind a little monkeying around in the registry.

Denorek

Aug 3, 2003
Having my brother in law do a clean XP install, and try the Win7.

Kinda silly, but I think it works that way.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
Finally got around to buying this. After I purchase and submit the form, I did not get a download link. How long does it take for the actual download to be available? I get a message that it's "Processing serial number or unlock code"

Last edited:

Rjammmm

Nov 16, 1999
Guys, if it helps, I graduated in 1986 and have an alumni email account and Mr Softie approved me for the 29 beloved patriot deal...