Windows 7 or 8 Intel and Nvidia Driver

Jornak

Aug 4, 2019
Hello

Due to a problem with Windows 10 which seemingly can't be resolved (quite a few people have this problem, too)
and it seems it is caused by dpc latency of dx, wndows and nvidia kernel mode driver causing frametike spikes/small fps drops resulting in microstutter.

I've decided to try Windows 8 or 7 (or any other OS that is suitable for gaming, any suggestions?),
Changing Windows did help at least one guy experiencing the same problem as me (for most people this was caused by the time windows rolled out their anniversary update).

But one question remains: Can I install drivers for my system on either win 8 or 7?

Specs:
Asus Rog Strix z390-E
i7 8700k
(2x 8GB)c16 2666MHz 16GB RAM Corsair (today my new RAM will arrive : Kingston (2x 8gb) 16GB 3200MHz c16 - made sure it is on the qualified vendor list)
gtx 1070
seasonic 650w platinum

Any Idea if they work or if I can make them work?
Other OS suggestions?

But for those who want to see what I've tried (list is incomplete, though lol) I copied and edited my troubleshoot-list, you can read it down below.

as Windows Clean installs didn't solve anything and:

What I've tried:

- reinstalling drivers (for gpu using DDU in safe mode)
-deactivating audio/wlan/bluetooth devices
-disabling game-mode and gamebar
-setting games to low or high (both graphical settings and resolution)
-Moving Games from HDD to SSD and vice versa (improved loading times on ssd but that's it)
- Upgraded CPU (from i5 8400 to i7 8700k)
-Upgraded MB (from h310 to asus rog strix z390-e [could the poor VRM make FPS drop`? but fps drop was present on h310, too)
-Upgraded from Samsung 8GB to Corsair 16GB 2666MHZ (that upgrade surprised me the most, instant +15/30 fps boost)
  • Updated BIOS**
  • set BIOS to default**
  • Changing my gtx 1070 with another brand of gtx 1070 - same problem
  • Used DDU to try and install other Driver-versions
  • Tried enabling XMP1, XMP2 and Auto-configuration
-Tried High Performance Energyplan on Windows
- Tried "Prefer Maximum Performance" in Nvidia settings
-Monitored Temperatures:
GPU: under load 55c and 69c @2K while Fan runs auto or at 65%
CPU: is cooled by Noctua, never exceeds 65c, it's 55c most of the time and 35c/45c when idle)
VRM seems to be hot though, but with side-panel removed everything is okay.
-XTU monitor showed no power, vrm, temperature throttle
-Changed from old HDMI Cable to newer ones
  • Changed from TV to Monitor
  • Changing Vsync from On to Off and vice versa
  • Scanned for Virus with different Tools like ESET, Norton, Windows Defender and MB's Anti-Malware
  • Defragmentation
  • Disconnect from Internet
-Tried monitoring demanding tasks through task manager and process explorer, aside from small spikes in I/O and CPU there's nothing
-CPU-Z: RAM drop from 1333/1334 to 1332 or 1331 for a second - normal?
  • let Userbenchmark run: everything except my HDD is running at least as expected, most run above expectations
  • Disconnected HDD
-Bought new SSD (970 EVO Plus)
-chksdk and sfc - It actually found some corrupted files, but managed to repair them, no difference in performance, though.
- DISM to check if some files are missing etc.
-run latencymon - as I said: nvidia and windows kernel mode driver along with dx causing dpc lateny

(also happened on my predator laptop and my previous desktop PC)

Edit: **=Edited

Last edited:

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Double-check that you're running the latest motherboard bios.
Try re-setting the bios to "optimized default settings" + reboot.
Also: for a modern board such as Z390, you'd want to configure the bios for "CSM disabled" and then re-format (delete all existing partitions) & re-install Windows in "pure UEFI" mode (CSM disabled).
Note: the bootable USB thumb drive Windows installer must be correctly configured in order to be bootable while the bios is configured in "CSM disabled" mode.
Then use one of the free driver update utilities, such as "Iobit Driver Booster" or "Driver Max".

Jornak

Aug 4, 2019
Hey Vailr, thanks for the response.

forget to add that, I'm already running the most up-to-date BIOS 1105
and setting BIOS to default...I did that for so many times already lol it seems to be buggy, too.

USB drive is correctly configured, too - will double-check for CSM, though - but it was disabled by default, when I remember correctly.
regarding driver software: I don't really like/trust those.

Edit: This thread isn't about further troubleshooting (if you happen to magically know a solution then you can of course still recommend further troubleshoot), please answer my questions regarding your experience with Win7 and 8.1 and Nvidia/Intel Driver compability, thanks! :)

Edit²: I did what you suggested and bought driverbooster - even though I don't like those third-party programs it did surprise me, did a good job finding the right drivers etc - but I still have fps drops/frametime spikes + dpc latency of windows and nvidia kernel mode driver.

Clean Install of Windows10 version 1903 didn't help either lol

Windows and Nvidia in 2019 lol
This is ridiculously absurd.

Edit³: Unlocked Ultimate Performance Mode = No difference

Last edited:

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Kind of funny the op is dealing with this cause W10 1903 and both BF3/BF4 which i love to play both run like ass. BF3 i drop down to sometimes under 80 when even my old i5 4460 and 970 didn't dip this low. BF4 of course has this annoying freeze and hitch pointing to memory cause apparently 16gb of ddr4 2666mhz memory is inferior to the 8gb of ddr3 1333 prior.

I bought a 8700 non k of course to have a completely stock stable system and have worst performance on W10 1903 then i did on a i5 4460 and 970 on W7. I know my spare Asrock Z370M PRO 4 works with 7 as i got the drivers for it and the little run in time i had some time ago it ran like a dream. Ran so good it was almost like a conspiracy how everyone says its not supported or would work right. I might go back to W7 till MS fixes this.

No i do not own a tin foil hat but when our latest and greatest os runs my favorite games worst then my previous tower did on W7 somethings not right. Like the op i dug about and of course have the latest and greatest drivers. Wanting to go back to 144hz gaming and well W10 1903 is putting a damper on that idea.

Reactions: Jornak

Jornak

Aug 4, 2019
Yeah I'd really like to go back to Windows 7 or even 8.1 to try it out etc - but that would be a pain in the a** regarding Drivers for Intel and Nvidia
I wanted to try Win10 Version 15xx, too, but since there aren't any official ISOs for older version it is kinda hard to find a trustworthy DL.

Small Update: Asus Released a new BIOS version (1302), but they only added support for a new cpu version "ks" - I did the update either way = problem still there

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Hello

Due to a problem with Windows 10 which seemingly can't be resolved (quite a few people have this problem, too)
and it seems it is caused by dpc latency of dx, wndows and nvidia kernel mode driver causing frametike spikes/small fps drops resulting in microstutter.

I've decided to try Windows 8 or 7 (or any other OS that is suitable for gaming, any suggestions?),
Changing Windows did help at least one guy experiencing the same problem as me (for most people this was caused by the time windows rolled out their anniversary update).

But one question remains: Can I install drivers for my system on either win 8 or 7?

Specs:
Asus Rog Strix z390-E
i7 8700k
(2x 8GB)c16 2666MHz 16GB RAM Corsair (today my new RAM will arrive : Kingston (2x 8gb) 16GB 3200MHz c16 - made sure it is on the qualified vendor list)
gtx 1070
seasonic 650w platinum

Any Idea if they work or if I can make them work?
Other OS suggestions?

But for those who want to see what I've tried (list is incomplete, though lol) I copied and edited my troubleshoot-list, you can read it down below.

as Windows Clean installs didn't solve anything and:

What I've tried:

- reinstalling drivers (for gpu using DDU in safe mode)
-deactivating audio/wlan/bluetooth devices
-disabling game-mode and gamebar
-setting games to low or high (both graphical settings and resolution)
-Moving Games from HDD to SSD and vice versa (improved loading times on ssd but that's it)
- Upgraded CPU (from i5 8400 to i7 8700k)
-Upgraded MB (from h310 to asus rog strix z390-e [could the poor VRM make FPS drop`? but fps drop was present on h310, too)
-Upgraded from Samsung 8GB to Corsair 16GB 2666MHZ (that upgrade surprised me the most, instant +15/30 fps boost)
  • Updated BIOS**
  • set BIOS to default**

• Changing my gtx 1070 with another brand of gtx 1070 - same problem
  • Used DDU to try and install other Driver-versions
  • Tried enabling XMP1, XMP2 and Auto-configuration
-Tried High Performance Energyplan on Windows
- Tried "Prefer Maximum Performance" in Nvidia settings
-Monitored Temperatures:
GPU: under load 55c and 69c @2K while Fan runs auto or at 65%
CPU: is cooled by Noctua, never exceeds 65c, it's 55c most of the time and 35c/45c when idle)
VRM seems to be hot though, but with side-panel removed everything is okay.
-XTU monitor showed no power, vrm, temperature throttle
-Changed from old HDMI Cable to newer ones
  • Changed from TV to Monitor
  • Changing Vsync from On to Off and vice versa
  • Scanned for Virus with different Tools like ESET, Norton, Windows Defender and MB's Anti-Malware
  • Defragmentation
  • Disconnect from Internet
-Tried monitoring demanding tasks through task manager and process explorer, aside from small spikes in I/O and CPU there's nothing
-CPU-Z: RAM drop from 1333/1334 to 1332 or 1331 for a second - normal?
  • let Userbenchmark run: everything except my HDD is running at least as expected, most run above expectations
  • Disconnected HDD
-Bought new SSD (970 EVO Plus)
-chksdk and sfc - It actually found some corrupted files, but managed to repair them, no difference in performance, though.
- DISM to check if some files are missing etc.
-run latencymon - as I said: nvidia and windows kernel mode driver along with dx causing dpc lateny

(also happened on my predator laptop and my previous desktop PC)

Edit: **=Edited
Microsoft did state that Intel 8th gen will only be able to run Windows 10. You need a older CPU to run Windows 7, 8, or 8.1.

Proof: http://compatibleproducts.intel.com/ProductDetails?prodSearch=True&searchTerm=Intel® Core i7

Last edited:

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Microsoft did state that Intel 8th gen will only be able to run Windows 10. You need a older CPU to run Windows 7, 8, or 8.1.

Proof: http://compatibleproducts.intel.com/ProductDetails?prodSearch=True&searchTerm=Intel® Core i7

Gonna put my tin foil hat back on for a minute and just say that isn't exactly proof. Only thing that will prob not get drivers involving 7 is the onboard video. Outside of that with a dedicated nvidia driver i had absolutely no issues getting 7 to work on my 8700 on a z370 motherboard. Everything for me was working. I did have to force ps/2 emulation though since i only had usb 3.0 drivers. I turned on that setting and the install went as smooth as it has on any other system ever.

Some people have had a royal nightmare involving usb 3.0 and getting 7 to launch. Maybe that is causing misconception or something idk. Yup all the drivers for my Asrock Z370M PRO4 now only show for 10 on their site but given i found a dedicated thread involving that motherboard and 7 drivers with even a complete zip folder with working older drivers. They simply removed the W7 drivers from their website and only included W10. Doesn't mean they aren't on the web.

Brand new motherboards like the Z390 MAY have newer ethernet/sound/chipset drivers where a W7 driver isn't available though. Its a good thing my Z370 is technically one of the og motherboards. They had sense to have W7 drivers then like that someone made the decision to remove them off the site. Its no wonder i made tin foil hat jokes its a conspiracy theory seriously.

Forced obsolescence is a thing. The fact i have perfectly good working W7 drivers for a product apparently not supporting it proves it.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
If you want to use Win7 on that rig, you'll have to look up how to allow Windows updates through as MS sent out an update that stops further updates for any newer hardware than Kaby Lake.

I think someone posted a solution here.