windows 7 OEM version.

silicon

Nov 27, 2004
I have this installed on 1 of my computers that has failed...the motherboard is no good. Can i transfer the OEM to another computer? Do i need to contact MS for this? thx.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Based on your premise, my sense is "no!" The OEM package was part of the system it came with and generally is not transferrable. However, if you replace the motherboard and repair the original computer, that OS can be made good for it.

silicon

Nov 27, 2004
Based on your premise, my sense is "no!" The OEM package was part of the system it came with and generally is not transferrable. However, if you replace the motherboard and repair the original computer, that OS can be made good for it.
it was not part of the system because i bought the OEM copy at newegg and installed on a machine that I built myself, not sure if this changes anything.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Yeah it's still part of the system. You may have to phone Microsoft if all you did was change the motherboard.

RolandJS

Mar 10, 2017
After you're successful in contacting Microsoft and getting them to re-license your OEM, please come back and post the contact information and process, I would like very much to learn from your experience, thanks!

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
It usually depends on time. If it's been a couple years since your last activation, they generally don't give you a hard time switching boards.