windows 7 impressions, flash

ronss

May 25, 2003
i am running 64 bit windows 7 home premium, and my grip about the 64 bit version is flash...its a problem on it....got to run certain browser, etc...

anyone feel the same way i do..that microsoft should have had this problem figured out before releasing the 64bit version...i have people say, well, its adope,s fault,,,,but this is a final microsoft product, i paid good money for it, to have these types of problems. i am not happy...its like buying a ford car, and someone makes the brake pads, and you get seconds, because the 3rd party had not upgraded its pads yet.

microshaft 7 is okay...but its still can be improved....i see odss things happens at times with it, small things that i notice, l

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
Flash is an Adobe product, so yes, it's their fault. This is emphasized by the fact that Adobe had a 64-bit Flash plugin for Linux for a long time now, they just stopped updating it recently.

MS released XP64 back in 05 and Adobe still hasn't moved on it. How is that MS' fault?

And on top of that 32-bit IE is the fault, you have to explicitly run the 64-bit version if you want so you're bringing any plugin problems on yourself.

ronss

May 25, 2003
Flash is an Adobe product, so yes, it's their fault. This is emphasized by the fact that Adobe had a 64-bit Flash plugin for Linux for a long time now, they just stopped updating it recently.

MS released XP64 back in 05 and Adobe still hasn't moved on it. How is that MS' fault?

And on top of that 32-bit IE is the fault, you have to explicitly run the 64-bit version if you want so you're bringing any plugin problems on yourself.
its microsofts product,,,not adopes,,,,,,,so yes,,,microsoft is sort of liable.....if ford mortor company built a car, and a 3rd party made an engine,,,,,and they did not come out with one for the car,,,,are you see what i am saying

stlcardinals

Sep 15, 2005
its microsofts product,,,not adopes,,,,,,,so yes,,,microsoft is sort of liable.....if ford mortor company built a car, and a 3rd party made an engine,,,,,and they did not come out with one for the car,,,,are you see what i am saying

Except your analogy is bad, Windows does not come from Microsoft's "factory" with Flash built in. Run the 32-bit version of IE, you will have no problems.

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001

No, MS isn't liable at all and your analogy, like all car analogies, is terrible. 3rd party manufacturers of anything aren't required to support every manufacturer out there or vice versa. Do you blame MS because there's no version if iMovie for Windows too? Do you blame Verizon because your car doesn't have Bluetooth?

The fact that MS gave you a 64-bit build of IE at all is a bonus, they're under no obligation to even do that.

SimMike2

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2000
Use Firefox or Chrome and dump IE. The 64bit vs. 32bit browser stuff is pretty much irrelevant.

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
Use Firefox or Chrome and dump IE. The 64bit vs. 32bit browser stuff is pretty much irrelevant.

Neither Firefox nor Chrome is relevant to the OP's 64-bit Flash problem. 64-bit browsers aren't mainstream, even on 64-bit operating systems, and there is little incentive for Adobe to develop a 64-bit Flash plug-in.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Adobe lost touch with its users years ago, don't expect them to care about 64 bit flash until they deem it necessary not when the users say they need it.

I don't use flash in my browsers anymore. If a site requires it then I don't use that site. I know that is limiting but Adobe and I had a falling out on other matters too.

There is hope though, HTML 5 is doing well and doesn't rely on 3rd party support.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
64-bit browsers aren't mainstream, even on 64-bit operating systems, and there is little incentive for Adobe to develop a 64-bit Flash plug-in.

Seems like a chicken and egg problem to me. I'd argue that one huge reason the adoption of 64-bit browsers hasn't happened (on Windows) is flash itself.

Why isn't there some sort of plugin wrapper for windows, like there is on linux?...or is there?

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
Why isn't there some sort of plugin wrapper for windows, like there is on linux?...or is there?

Because it's not needed. Run 32 bit browser on 64 bit windows. The wrapper exists on linux, if I understand things correctly, because 64 bit linux can't run 32 bit linux software easily.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Because it's not needed. Run 32 bit browser on 64 bit windows. The wrapper exists on linux, if I understand things correctly, because 64 bit linux can't run 32 bit linux software easily.

I'm pretty sure 32-bit software runs just fine on 64-bit linux...but having to install all the 32-bit libraries seems wasteful. Yeah, 32-bit browsers on Windows are unnecessary, for now. I expect we'll eventually see browser based apps that will take advantage of more RAM and/or 64-bit computing. Like, say, in-browser games or image/video editing, especially as standards like HTML5 (and whatever come after) get more robust.

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
I'm pretty sure 32-bit software runs just fine on 64-bit linux...but having to install all the 32-bit libraries seems wasteful. Yeah, 32-bit browsers on Windows are unnecessary, for now. I expect we'll eventually see browser based apps that will take advantage of more RAM and/or 64-bit computing. Like, say, in-browser games or image/video editing, especially as standards like HTML5 (and whatever come after) get more robust.

The requirements are the same on Windows, it's just less noticeable because MS forces their 32-bit libraries on you. AFAIK it's impossible to have a 100% 64-bit Windows install right now.