Windows 7 + antivirus = blue screen help?

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I set up my new system (specs below) and installed McAfee primarily because I get a free subscription for being an AT&T dsl customer.

Immediately after installation, I got a blue screen. I shut down and rebooted. After a few minutes I got another BSOD.

I did some limited research on the internet and discovered that McAfee doesn't necessarily like W7. Fine, as I also discovered that McAfee isn't really anything special.

So I started over. I reformated the hard drives and installed W7 and the drivers again (really isn't a big deal with my SSD...takes less than 15 minutes).

This time I chose the latest version of Avast since their website specifically says it's compatible with W7.

However, I get the same results. BSOD. The first BSOD said something about a "memory management" problem. I rebooted and after a few minutes got another different BSOD.

Prior to installation of the AV, I ran memtest86 for 2 passes and got no errors....so I'm confident its not the RAM.

Any suggestions (other than trying a 3rd AV product)? It seems odd but my system simply does not like antivirus. In the days prior to loading McAfee, I ran the system just fine with no problems....ran games, applications, media, internet, etc......no blue screens.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide!

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
rudder:

Thanks for the link....I'll research that. It sounds like, with a little effort, Windows can tell me exactly what application is causing the BSOD. That would be helpful.

Gunbuster.....that was my next choice. I'm hopeful an MS antivirus product would be compatible with an MS OS.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Thanks for the link! I used BlueScreenView and it kept pointing me to Windows OS kernel driver as the issue. A lot of research on that driver alluded to the fact that it was related to memory management.

I had tested my RAM with memtest for over four hours with no errors. I also tested with Windows Diagnostic Tool using the "Basic" settings - no errors. But when I used the "Standard" settings I got a hardware error. I took the RAM out and reinstalled and now there are no errors. So maybe (fingers crossed) all of this was due to the RAM not being seated in the socket quite right.

radioouman

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2002
Windows 7 seems more sensitive to RAM errors than Vista. (I ran bad RAM for a year with Vista with only occasional flakiness, but 7 wouldn't run for more than two weeks without refusing to boot.) If you have bad RAM, that is likely the cause of the problem. Verify that your timings and voltage are correct.

Also, I don't think that a 350W PSU is enough for your system, but maybe it is OK with onboard graphics and an SSD......

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Thanks for the reply. I have verified the timings (9-9-9-24) and voltage (1.5v). I'm really hoping the issue was just dust and/or the sticks not seated properly.

Thanks for the note on the PSU as well. It's a concern. The mobo manual says 350W minimum. All the online wattage calculators say I'll be ok with 350W with my current system (SSD and integrated VC help!) but I still have concerns and will keep an eye on this.

TemjinGold

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2006
Windows 7 seems more sensitive to RAM errors than Vista. (I ran bad RAM for a year with Vista with only occasional flakiness, but 7 wouldn't run for more than two weeks without refusing to boot.) If you have bad RAM, that is likely the cause of the problem. Verify that your timings and voltage are correct.

Also, I don't think that a 350W PSU is enough for your system, but maybe it is OK with onboard graphics and an SSD......

Err... I don't know what you're smoking but 350W is way more than he needs. The guy doesn't even have a discrete video card for crying out loud...