Question Windows 7 and UEFI, CSM, Secure Boot

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Until today, I have never tried to install Windows 7 in any other configuration except in legacy BIOS (CSM) mode with Secure Boot disabled, on a drive partitioned MBR. I tried to install Windows 7 SP1 in UEFI mode with Secure Boot Enabled, created the install media (USB) using Rufus. I get a efi boot security violation error. The 'fast boot' feature also is disabled.

The SSD drive is detected in BIOS, but have not partitioned it at all either GPT or MBR. Maybe that is the problem? I figured Windows Setup would handle the partition type and default to GPT partition during install. System BIOS is from 2019 and definitely supports UEFI (and legacy). I know there is a limitation with Windows 7 support for Secure Boot and UEFI mode, but I cannot recall those details. Any help would be appreciated.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Ah I found it! So Windows 7 does not support Secure Boot. At least not without some modification to the boot files like the one in the video. And the system BIOS is not one of those from the 2012~2013 days which allowed a hybrid configuration just for Windows 7. So I'm redoing the installation media for MBR and CSM. Thanks!

Reactions: igor_kavinski

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I recall an issue with my (present) ASUS Z97 PRO GAMER board whereby I can install Win7 in UEFI mode absolutely fine (secure boot too), but there's a Windows update that comes in that causes it to stop working and I received a full-screen DOS-style message telling me I have to disable secure boot to proceed.

Reactions: McLovin

McLovin

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2007
I recall an issue with my (present) ASUS Z97 PRO GAMER board whereby I can install Win7 in UEFI mode absolutely fine (secure boot too), but there's a Windows update that comes in that causes it to stop working and I received a full-screen DOS-style message telling me I have to disable secure boot to proceed.
this is accurate.

If this device is being used on the internet, for any reason, you should strongly consider getting a newer PC.