windows 7 64 bit ATI drivers make me carzy

Rich3077

Oct 11, 1999
I am not able to use my HDTV using ATI 64 bit drivers no matter what I do.. I have googled until the cows come home with no luck.

This is my old system I gave to my wife to use with the TV... Installed a 5770 before giving it to her. Worked fine on my monitor at the same resolution.

Moved it to the TV and the 64 bit drivers would not load. I know its the drivers because this dual boot system works in XP 32 bit.

Tried a ATI 4890.. still no luck

Today I upgraded the mobo and CPU to AMD Phenom x 4 and Gigabyte Mobo...(was Intel C2D) fresh install of windows. New motherboard has built in graphics.. so I tried that and still no luck.

If this is any help, when my PC tries to load windows my TV says its in "768 HD" mode (not standard)

Anybody have any advice or tricks to make this thing work?

evolucion8

Platinum Member
Jun 17, 2005
Go to the following, open Catalyst Control Center, select Desktops and Displays, click on the monitor icon at the bottom left of the menu and click on configure, in the Attributes tab, make sure that Enable GPU scaling is turned On and make sure that the Reduce DVI frequency on high resolutions checkmark is checked, if it doesn't work uncheck it later. Go to the HDTV Support tab and add click on the following resolution checkmarks in that list.

Add 720p60 (NTSC)

Add 1080p60 (NTSC)

Check back if it works for you. If adding those options didn't work, then uncheck the Reduce DVI frequency checkmark in the previous menu.

blanketyblank

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
weird maybe problem getting info from tv. try forcing tv detect.
also try another comp with that tv.

Rich3077

Oct 11, 1999
Its Fixed! After 3 weeks of trying..

evolucion8, I was trying what you suggested but I couldn't load Windows 7 to make the changes.. so I brought back out my old 19" LCD to do a dual monitor. The problem ended up being a funky refresh rate. Once I selected 60 Hz the picture popped right up.

All is well in my world now.

Thanks

Rich3077

Oct 11, 1999
Okay I must be missing something real simple.. as soon as I unplug the 19" LCD the main display stops working... even after a reboot???

Nevermind.. figured it out. :p

Last edited:

NoQuarter

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2001
Okay I must be missing something real simple.. as soon as I unplug the 19" LCD the main display stops working... even after a reboot???

Nevermind.. figured it out. :p

Oh what was the fix for this part? For my mental repository :p

evolucion8

Platinum Member
Jun 17, 2005
I had an issue yesterday trying to watch Sherlock Holmes in BluRay. I connected an LG 42 inches LCD display to the HDMI port, and left my DVI monitor connected and used the appropiate resolution and cloning mode. The movie would stutter if I turned off the DVI display, so I had to leave it on even if I wasn't using the display, odd.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

evolucion8, I was trying what you suggested but I couldn't load Windows 7 to make the changes.. so I brought back out my old 19" LCD to do a dual monitor. The problem ended up being a funky refresh rate. Once I selected 60 Hz the picture popped right up.

Thanks

This is the problem I have run into with my 4850 and my 67" LED DLP. The 4850's drivers would throw out refresh rates outside what the TV can do. And it would require me to hook in an LCD to set it correctly. Then out of the blue it would decide to change the refresh rates, rinse and repeat. Well that got really fucking old so that machine went back upstairs and is hooked up to a 24" LCD. In its place my Dell Precision laptop with a quadro equivalent of a 9800. Works flawlessly all the time.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003

Thanks

3 weeks? wow happy to hear that.

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
This is the problem I have run into with my 4850 and my 67" LED DLP. The 4850's drivers would throw out refresh rates outside what the TV can do. And it would require me to hook in an LCD to set it correctly. Then out of the blue it would decide to change the refresh rates, rinse and repeat. Well that got really fucking old so that machine went back upstairs and is hooked up to a 24" LCD. In its place my Dell Precision laptop with a quadro equivalent of a 9800. Works flawlessly all the time.
Must be just a Win 7 issue. I have a 4850 in my HTPC hooked up to my 50" LED DLP (I had a 3870 there previously) under WinXP Media Center Edition and haven't had any issues whatsoever. I'm guessing you also have a Samsung HLT series TV? I just plugged in the DVI-HDMI adapter and presto! Insta-home theater.

And I'm glad I got one of the LED DLPs while they were still available. It has a fantastic picture and I don't need to ever worry about bulbs dimming, pixels going out, plasma fading, etc. And it was cheaper by far than any other competing technology available at the time.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Must be just a Win 7 issue. I have a 4850 in my HTPC hooked up to my 50" LED DLP (I had a 3870 there previously) under WinXP Media Center Edition and haven't had any issues whatsoever. I'm guessing you also have a Samsung HLT series TV? I just plugged in the DVI-HDMI adapter and presto! Insta-home theater.

And I'm glad I got one of the LED DLPs while they were still available. It has a fantastic picture and I don't need to ever worry about bulbs dimming, pixels going out, plasma fading, etc. And it was cheaper by far than any other competing technology available at the time.

Originally tried it with Vista as well. But yeah, the same platform. Post WinXP.
The TV is fantastic, just got sick of messing with the damn refresh rates on the computer. Laptop has been working great. And I use the 4850 machine upstairs for everything else.

This Sammy has a VGA connector which I use because I dont have a reciever. The VGA connector has a PC sound input. I got it in Nov 2008.

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally tried it with Vista as well. But yeah, the same platform. Post WinXP.
The TV is fantastic, just got sick of messing with the damn refresh rates on the computer. Laptop has been working great. And I use the 4850 machine upstairs for everything else.

This Sammy has a VGA connector which I use because I dont have a reciever. The VGA connector has a PC sound input. I got it in Nov 2008.
Did you ever try HDMI to see if that would fix the problem?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Did you ever try HDMI to see if that would fix the problem?

Yes for a bit because I thought maybe my 5.1 speaker system for the computer could work. But in the end I didnt like the setup. And it didnt help either. That was actually when it first happened. And I thought maybe it was the DVI-->HDMI connector. But going to the VGA didnt help either.

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yes for a bit because I thought maybe my 5.1 speaker system for the computer could work. But in the end I didnt like the setup. And it didnt help either. That was actually when it first happened. And I thought maybe it was the DVI-->HDMI connector. But going to the VGA didnt help either.
Bummer. Looks like I'll have to research whether or not to use my spare copy of Vista Ultimate when I upgrade my HTPC or stick with XP MCE.

NoQuarter

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2001

Oh, did you say you tried it on 2 different OS's? I've noticed Windows caches the EDID for the monitor in the registry, it's possible it ended up with some ridiculous refresh rate capabilities in there when going from VGA to HDMI, possibly could use Powerstrip to reload the EDID directly from the TV to fix the known capabilities (or delete the registry key storing the Samsung's capabilities so it would redetect them).

I have one 1680x1050 monitor that always showed up as Generic PNP with 1920x1080 available until I forced it to reread the EDID from the monitor, then it at least had the brand and capabilities right, but still wasn't perfect until I downloaded the .inf from Viewsonic.

edit: I know you don't want to troubleshoot it.. just habit.

Last edited:

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Bummer. Looks like I'll have to research whether or not to use my spare copy of Vista Ultimate when I upgrade my HTPC or stick with XP MCE.

Well you can always try and see if it works. I am sure many people dont have this problem. I just happened to and got sick of dealing with it.