Windows 2003 lock up when transfering files over LAN.

hypeMarked

Apr 15, 2002
Hi all,

I seem to have a very frustrating problem with networking in my LAN. I have 3 computers, two of which run WinXP pro and 1 running windows 2003 with role setting as File server. Everything is fine until I started to transfer file from the win2k3 to one of my xp machine (either one). The network connection of the win2k3 box went down and it physically lock up. I have the latest updates of all of the machines. Please help. Thanks.

azev

Golden Member
Jan 27, 2001
It could be hardware incompatibility. Check if your hardware is listed on microsoft HCL for Windows 2003 Server

hypeMarked

Apr 15, 2002
It is compatable (intel 1000MT desktop adapter). The win2k3 box was originally an winxp with the same hardware and it worked without any problem. Also, I just did a test with 2 of the winxp boxes and they can transfer files without any problem.

RebateMonger

Elite Member
Dec 24, 2005
If it's any consolation, I had a Dell SBS 2003 box that would INSTANTLY die when a Server 2003 box started to send it an NTBackup file across the network. No error messages, no error logs....nuttin'. The problem was completely repeatable.

I did three "repairs" at once, so I don't know which one fixed it:
I flashed the SBS Server's RAID card to the latest version.
I flashed the motherboard BIOS to the latest version.
I updated SBS 2003 to SP1.

It fixed it. But I don't know why. :eek:

blemoine

Jul 20, 2005
Hypemarked: Compatible yes but is the network card good. it could be a bad network card, network cable, or port on your switch. please check these and you will probably find the root of your problem.

hypeMarked

Apr 15, 2002
I made new network cables (and tested it), replaces the nic with the "working" one from my other computers, and switch to different "working" port on the switch, but same result. I'll take RebateMonger's suggestion and try it tonight. Before then, if anyone has any other suggestion, feel free to let me know. And thank you to all of you.

blemoine

Jul 20, 2005
here is a little food for thought

we had a problem a month ago with two Server2k3 machines. They are connected through a DSL VPN. In one location the ISP changed the MTU size to 1492 and the other ISP left the MTU size at 1500. so they were able to ping each other but when you started to send a file across the network from one to another they would both lock up tighter than a safe. after much investigation we found an updated patch from microsoft that fixed the problem. it may be something like that. check it out.

hypeMarked

Apr 15, 2002
blemoine, can you clarify on what the update is? Did you do anything else? All the machines have the latest updates as stated earlier.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
I see something here.

Homemade cables.

Try with storebought. A faulty cable can cause all sorts of weirdness. Unless the cable is certified cat5 or higher you never really know if its good.

RebateMonger

Elite Member
Dec 24, 2005
Originally posted by: spidey07
I see something here.

Homemade cables..
I noticed that too. I can't think of any time that making a cable is a good idea. Sure, you can run bulk cable. But I'd attach it to a RJ45 jack at both ends. I just don't trust hand-crimped cables.

I have some decent crimping tools, and, heaven knows, I've made a few cables in my time. But I've given up trying to make my own Cat5 cables. The chances of weirdness (a technical term) are too high.

hypeMarked

Apr 15, 2002
I'm very sure that it's not caused by my "homemade" cable. Why?

1. Because I tested with real store bought cables (belkin, cat5e).
2. Because I tested my cables with other systems and they are fine.
3. Because I made cables to use within my company which uses gigabit network to the max (ie ~900Mbps).

Also, if the cable is bad, then I would have problems with connections/link, not computer locking up when I started to transfer files. And...as I stated earlier, I was able to remote desktop without any problem.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
well if you get the same symptoms with a store bought cable then that can rule it out.

however cabling problems do show up as exactly what you are experiencing.

RebateMonger

Elite Member
Dec 24, 2005
Originally posted by: hypeMarked
I'm very sure that it's not caused by my "homemade" cable.
Nobody's insulting your cablemaking capability. Everyone here has made their own cables. Usually they work fine. But many of us have also probably spent hours or days troubleshooting some problem that turned out to be a bad (homemade) cable.

I challenge you to name a circumstance where making your own cable is better or cheaper than just buying one. I get 15 foot Cat 5e patch cables from Computergeeks.com for $1.00 apiece. I give them away to my clients. If I MADE a cable for a client, I'd have to charge them around $40 apiece to cover my time, materials, and potential troubleshooting liability.

I see a lot of network installations, and I can always tell the homemade cables. The insulation is falling away from the plug and the plug is dangling by the wires. If somebody pulls on that dangling connector, it's going to fail, or worse, cause network errors. Especially at Gigabit speeds. And if the person making the cables makes more than $5 an hour, they're not saving any money on cables.

hypeMarked

Apr 15, 2002
RebateMonger,

I didn't feel insulted by homemade cables comment; I was just stating that the cables are fine and the reasons why they're fine. Also, making cables would be cheap if you buy them in bulk and make them for your self.

Anyways, an update to the problem...I was able to solve the problem by flashing the motherboard's BIOS. I thought I had the latest version (1.0E) but it turns out to be (1.1E). After flashing, transfering files between the computers flows smoothly :). Thank for all of the Anandtecher's help.