Windows 2000 System Time

luigi2000

Aug 17, 2004
Is there someone reading this who knows for sure which timer, the Power Management Clock also known as ACPI timer, or the 8254 PIT, or the APIC updates the system time in a Windows 2000 ACPI uniprocessor PC? I would like to get a definitive answer. Why?

Starting last week about every other day, the system time on my PC intermittently counts an extra one to 15 seconds in a minute. The hardware real time clock display keeps correct time on the main bios screen.

The only symptom of this problem that I've noticed is the QuickTime Sorenson decoder will play the audio stream out of synchronization (too slowly). All the other decoders MJPEG, DivX, MPEG-2 playout fine.

The motherboard temp runs 30 to 33 degrees C. The CPU temp runs 52 to 57 degrees C. However the timer failure can happen when the motherboard temp reads 30 degrees C.

I would really appreciate if a knowledgeable tech or engineer could answer this question.

Thanks,
Mark

And as always...

Cheetah8799

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2001
have you replaced the battery on your mobo? The silver thing, looks like the size of a nickel or quarter. Could be the battery is going bad, not sure why it would be fast, but you never know...

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
I have the same problem, my computer gradually gains too much time. Running Win2k, nforce2 chipset Mobo. Has been doing this for at least a month, maybe more.

JohnG86

Aug 10, 2003
I read in another thread that nforce2 mobos have this problem so we just have to live with it. Nice thing with XP is its auto time update to get it corrected every few days.

luigi2000

Aug 17, 2004
This might be an nForce2 south bridge temperature problem. Opening the case seems to have stopped the system time error. Will connect a chassis fan and a heat sink.

However I would still like to get the answer to my first question.