I'm doing some upgrades on a machine and have run into some thing odd. The drive lettering scheme is all fubared.
Originally the machine had one (Western Digital) hard drive on the primary IDE. On the secondary IDE chain there was a CD-ROM and a Zip 250.
I took the machine and put a brand new Maxtor hdd as the master and the old Western Digital as the slave on the primary IDE channel.
On the secondary IDE channel I put a new CD-RW, and the old ZIP 250, in that order.
So here's what appears in the post now:
Primary Master: Maxtor (new drive) XXXX-XXX
Primary Slave: Western Digital (old drive) XXXX-XXX
Secondary Master: Sony CD-RW XXXX
Secondary Slave: ZIP 250
So what's wrong you ask. Well yeah, it looks fine here, but in Windows:
C:=Western Digital (the old drive, which should be D: or higher)
D:=ZIP 250 (I suspect this is part of my problem, but the client "has to have it")
F:=Maxtor (this is the new drive. Supposed to be the C: drive, but 2000 treats it as such)
This normally would not be a problem. Everything works fine in this setup, and all new program installs by default install in the "F:" drive now. However, I know this customer, and any deviation from her bubble of norm is going to cause cataclysmic mayhem.