Windows 2000 DNS error message(s), what to do....?

Yvo

Jan 13, 2001
To basically flat out say it: The DNS is giving me hell, it was working until Thursday when suddenly the forward zone I created a few weeks back was gone.

Also Domain Users were suddenly unable to login to the server locally when they were greeted with a friendly message saying that it isn?t a valid workstation. Now the zones I have created were Active Directory integrated, I am now unable to create another AD Integrated zone because I get the message saying the Active Directory service isn?t running. Now people are still able to login from their workstations, share files, print and do the common things but the DNS is back to crud (or so it seems). I have created a Primary DNS server now instead of an Active Directory integrated and it seems to be running ok with the fact that the DNS event log still reports two errors about every 12 ? 15 minutes and if you reboot the server or turn on the server it takes about 20 minutes to finally get to the Novell Netware 4.83 (this is not the problem) screen, usually 5-6. Now I have checked all basics... such as if the IP of the network cards are pointing to the DNS server on this computer. The domain is called 2000server.local so that is also not a problem.

Event IDs reported: ID 1126, 4000, 4013 are some of the event IDs reported. Also I am getting numerous UsrEnv errors (ID error 1000). I have tried MS KB article Q305837 and the related Q256000 but to no hope as one of the steps fail. It could be that I am doing one of the steps wrong of course

Now I did customize the Group Policy and I know foul play is not at work here, but this error is very frustrating. Even when not using AD Integrated zones I still get errors. Anyone have any simple step by step solving on this or do I simply have to reinstall (please say no).

The server is NOT running in native mode as one Windows NT 4.0 server still exists till the end of this year.

Thank you in advance!

Yvo

PS. Email me at yvovandoorn@attbi.com if you wish to have more info on helping me solve this problem!