Question Windows 11 not meeting requirement TPM2 , secure boot?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

plopke

Jan 26, 2010
Not sure if this should be posted under the motherboard section.

I was running the system PC health check if my pc would be able to run windows 11 , which it said no , does not specify why i assume because TPM 2.0 and secure boot requirements.

I do not have any TPM module on motherboard but i did enable fTPM under the AMD Bios option. This was not enough to make my PC ready for windows 11 , but it still booted.

So i disabled CSM , which make secure boot visible then under secure boot options i enabled it. But after rebooting no drives are visible to boot from expect a USB flash drive. is there anything i need to setup to have the drives appear?
There some options under secure boot BIOS menu but lo clue what to do and manual does not specify.

System spec :
Ryzen 1700
B350 Gaming 3 Gigabyte
16GB ram 2400
San disk ultra II , sata boot drive
Crucial Mx500 , sata
Kingston A2000, nmve

PS : also for anyone looking true manual , it is wrong many times where the default does not match the default in the bios.

PSS : uploaded some bios pictures , first 2 pictures is secure boot on and the secure boot option page , 3th picture is with CSM on then it shows all drives.

Attachments

• IMG_20210624_212656.jpg
    IMG_20210624_212656.jpg
    500.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20210624_212707.jpg
    IMG_20210624_212707.jpg
    489.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20210624_212854.jpg
    IMG_20210624_212854.jpg
    738.2 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
my board from 2011 has a TPM header and TPM options on the bios, I wonder if could find a TPM 1.2 module and make it works, other than that.... yeah this requirement is not good for my PCs,
guess I'll keep win 10 for as long as it's supported and go with linux for the older PCs once it's needed!?

If it has a TPM header, you'll have to look to see if you can find the one specific to your motherboard from the manufacturer. At 10 years old, they may be few and far between provided that the manufacturer of the motherboard ever even produced an actual TPM module for it.

It will be interesting to see if Linux desktop installations increase in the future over this.

Reactions: pcgeek11

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
If it has a TPM header, you'll have to look to see if you can find the one specific to your motherboard from the manufacturer. At 10 years old, they may be few and far between provided that the manufacturer of the motherboard ever even produced an actual TPM module for it.

It will be interesting to see if Linux desktop installations increase in the future over this.

yeah realistically I highly doubt that a TPM module for it is something that I would be able to find at this point, it's not a common board at all.... oh well,
if they insist on this I can only see Linux growing from it.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
yeah realistically I highly doubt that a TPM module for it is something that I would be able to find at this point, it's not a common board at all.... oh well,
if they insist on this I can only see Linux growing from it.

I'm sure that the scalpers have already been buying up the few modules that are out there for older motherboards.

A lot of Ryzen CPUs have an fTPM function that will probably work with Windows 11. That is, if the motherboard manufacturers bothered to include support for it in the BIOS (which isn't a sure thing).

In the news... "Windows 11 was released... with TPM 2.0 requirements". In other news, "Apple and Linux marketshare rose today...". :p

/s

Yeah, leave it to Microsoft to require something that has been around forever but which only a very few people used. Makes you wonder if they got big kickbacks from the motherboard manufacturers and the big desktop OEMs to include this requirement so as to increase their own sales.

Reactions: blckgrffn

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yeah, leave it to Microsoft to require something that has been around forever but which only a very few people used. Makes you wonder if they got big kickbacks from the motherboard manufacturers and the big desktop OEMs to include this requirement so as to increase their own sales.
Or MS plans to "lock down" Windows 11 with DRM, much ala XBox.

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
I mean, a ton of systems that age don't even have TPM headers on the motherboards (though some did)
My board does have a TPM header, but not sure it has EFI mode, let alone Secure Boot. Of course, it doesn’t. So no Windows 11 joy for this system, lol. Good thing, Win10 had legacy MBR support, at least.

I believe some of my Ivy Bridge systems have EFI and Secure Boot, so Windows 11 installation should be possible, even without TPM module, there is a hack available.

Windows 11 should be great for future games in 1-2 years due to DirectStorage API, much like the full DX12 support was exclusive to Windows 10 only. That’s the Microsoft way of forcing people to upgrade. Too bad, you can’t compile the code that’s just needed for your own hardware like in *nix.

my board from 2011 has a TPM header and TPM options on the bios, I wonder if could find a TPM 1.2 module and make it works, other than that.... yeah this requirement is not good for my PCs,
Check eBay, plenty of 1.2 modules for each mono vendor. I haven’t tried any, but sure as hell it should work. Again, the main hard requirement is EFI w/ Secure Boot.

NB. I see the memory requirement going up from 2 to 4 gigs, however. I wonder, what’s extra taking up so much more memory there. And taking into account the storage requirement, 11 isn’t going to be as slim as it’s predecessor. Again, I question the value/quality of extra code that’s being baked in there. Especially with a lot of things taken out by default. I was able to fit Win10 onto a 24gb cache SSD, for example, I doubt, I can repeat this with 11.

Last edited:

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
I see the memory requirement going up from 2 to 4 gigs, however. I wonder, what’s extra taking up so much more memory there.

I don't think there is anything added, it just reflects reality better. 10 x64 already uses 1.5-1.8GB on a barebones install, so 2GB would be a painful experience. 4GB should have been minimum for 10 x64 from the start.

hemedans

Jan 31, 2015
These are Haswell, Ivy Bridge, and a single Carrizo, systems, so unfortunately do not have that option. Ryzen+ and Skylake+ should be good to go as-is.

It's not as if they're expensive as such (~100DKK each, or about two beers in Copenhagen), but 10 do add up.
Mine haswell has it, it was just disabled in bios by default, I had to enable it.

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
I don't think there is anything added, it just reflects reality better. 10 x64 already uses 1.5-1.8GB on a barebones install, so 2GB would be a painful experience.
I have a Core 2 Duo machine for test purposes that has only 2GB of ram that runs Windows 10 Pro x64 pretty well. Windows 10 is extremely good with memory management and likes to compress the ram if it runs low on it. With the fast storage in place, I run into CPU/GPU bottlenecks way more often than RAM.

4GB should have been minimum for 10 x64 from the start.
I guess, this number is rather arbitory and should be based on your particular use case. But obviously the more, the better.

NB. Looks like the prices for TPM modules have skyrocketed since. That was FAST11!!! But it is still possible to buy on the cheap.

Last edited:

plopke

Jan 26, 2010
Ok zo my ryzen 1700 is not good enough for windows 11 <trying to stay calm>?????????????????? So a 8core 16thread 3-3.2ghz ,TPM ,secure boot enabled cpu is NOT good enough. What the hell am i missing ? WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT? Lazyness of just throwing all cpu's from a certain generation under the bus ? Some perverse locked down DRM windows version? They only wanne code for certain architectures?

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Mine haswell has it, it was just disabled in bios by default, I had to enable it.

Checked. These lack the BIOS switch. Of course. Typical.

My own Z97 Extreme6 does seem to have it. But I'll have to check next week if it actually does anything, as it's in another location.

I have a Core 2 Duo machine for test purposes that has only 2GB of ram that runs Windows 10 Pro x64 pretty well. Windows 10 is extremely good with memory management and likes to compress the ram if it runs low on it. With the fast storage in place, I run into CPU/GPU bottlenecks way more often than RAM.

In my experience C2D/Qs run the 32bit version better then the 64bit. But yeah, 10s memory manager is really good.

I guess, this number is rather arbitory and should be based on your particular use case. But obviously the more, the better.

One can never have too much RAM. I just don't think it makes much sense running an x64 OS with less then 3GB RAM. Below that point 32bit is more efficient, if a bit less secure.

NB. Looks like the prices for TPM modules have skyrocketed since. That was FAST11!!! But it is still possible to buy on the cheap.

That's just typical of how things are right now. Hopefully scalpers end up with a heap of unsold TPM modules.

You just can't get anything right now. I tried getting spare parts for my lawnmower(!), impossible or with a 6 month lead...

Reactions: Arkaign

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
Depends on your circumstances. For example, if you have a relatively modern GPU, 64 bit is the way to go even if you only have 2 GB of RAM. Nvidia as well as AMD dropped 32 bit support for video cards a while ago. Sure, if you run something older like GMA 950 for example, 32 bit would be the better option (8.1 is my fav).

That's just typical of how things are right now. Hopefully scalpers end up with a heap of unsold TPM modules.

You just can't get anything right now. I tried getting spare parts for my lawnmower(!), impossible or with a 6 month lead...
My Haswell compatible TPM 1.2 module is 3x the price now. Used to be under 10.

NB. TPM 2.0 aren't compatible with Haswell, if you ever get around to getting one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Insert_Nickname

RLGL

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2013
I ran across an interesting bit, any AMD socket pre AM4 will not support the TPU requirement.
With the chip shortage the add on TPU cards will be in short supply for a while.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Depends on your circumstances. For example, if you have a relatively modern GPU, 64 bit is the way to go even if you only have 2 GB of RAM. Nvidia as well as AMD dropped 32 bit support for video cards a while ago.

Sure enough. But if you have a gaming capable card in it, I'd expect more RAM. Even the GT1030 is still supported under 32bit, if with an older driver. But then, unless you game, that shouldn't matter all that much.

Sure, if you run something older like GMA 950 for example, 32 bit would be the better option (8.1 is my fav).

I prefer 7. For the GDI fallback. It's a lot friendlier on old hardware. 8(.1) is totally reliant on DirectX-based DWM compositor. But that's personal preference of course.

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
Sure enough. But if you have a gaming capable card in it, I'd expect more RAM. Even the GT1030 is still supported under 32bit, if with an older driver. But then, unless you game, that shouldn't matter all that much.
Some boards just won't support more than 2GB, for example. And GT 1030 is a good card for youtube and browsing.

Driver Version: 471.11 - Release Date: 2021 June 22
Driver Version: 391.35 - Release Date: 2018 March 27

32 bit is just way too old. Sure as hell it doesn't even support the latest WDDM (the amount of changes have been staggering since the last driver update). The tradeback in less RAM footprint isn't worth it in my opinion.

I prefer 7. For the GDI fallback. It's a lot friendlier on old hardware. 8(.1) is totally reliant on DirectX-based DWM compositor. But that's personal preference of course.
GPU performance would indeed be slightly faster on 7, but other than that 8.1 is way faster (fast boot) amd uses less RAM. Its a pain to get a fully compatible NIC for older laptops though. I don't bother anymore, really. But 8.1 can be configured to be a very fast and responsive system with minimum overhead (more relevant for slower systems though).

NB. I need to try this.

Reactions: SamMaster

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Some boards just won't support more than 2GB, for example. And GT 1030 is a good card for youtube and browsing.

Driver Version: 471.11 - Release Date: 2021 June 22
Driver Version: 391.35 - Release Date: 2018 March 27

32 bit is just way too old. Sure as hell it doesn't even support the latest WDDM (the amount of changes have been staggering since the last driver update). The tradeback in less RAM footprint isn't worth it in my opinion.

It does youtube and browsing just fine on the old driver. Newer WDDM version don't really contain anything important for desktop work or video.

GPU performance would indeed be slightly faster on 7, but other than that 8.1 is way faster (fast boot) amd uses less RAM. Its a pain to get a fully compatible NIC for older laptops though. I don't bother anymore, really. But 8.1 can be configured to be a very fast and responsive system with minimum overhead (more relevant for slower systems though).

Fast boot is always the first thing I disable on old systems. For some reason old drivers don't like it, causes all sorts of weird issues. With an SSD it's hardly needed anyway. Even old Brazos systems are usable'ish with an SSD. Just don't try to run x64 on them. ;)

Not that I'd recommend Brazos in any shape or form today. Too slow for the modern web, no matter what you do. But it's a great little APU for running XP bare metal if you need it.

Geegeeoh

Oct 16, 2011
I ran across an interesting bit, any AMD socket pre AM4 will not support the TPU requirement.
With the chip shortage the add on TPU cards will be in short supply for a while.
I have an AM3 MoBo with the TPM header.
Not that I care to keep that alive...

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
FYI, any recent-ish (made in the last 5 years) board should have TPM 2.0. Sometimes the option is called something different (PTT, PSP fTPM, etc)

Microsoft has a free app that can help determine what is needed. Chances are, if you have a supported CPU, you are overlooking the BIOS option.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
FYI, any recent-ish (made in the last 5 years) board should have TPM 2.0. Sometimes the option is called something different (PTT, PSP fTPM, etc)

Microsoft has a free app that can help determine what is needed. Chances are, if you have a supported CPU, you are overlooking the BIOS option.
Zen1 only has TPM 1.2 I believe, which is why first gen Ryzen chips aren't on the supported list, despite the fact they're only ~4 years old.