Question Windows 11, cannot install. "No device drivers found..."

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
Im coming from Fedora Linux installation, and want to install Windows 11 on my PC.

NVMe SSD on which I would install Windows 11 has been wiped, formatted with NTFS in Diskpart, the partition is active.

When I try to install Windows, there is a prompt stating that "no device drivers have been found". There is plenty on this topic in the internet, and I have tried every possible scenario, including downloading drivers for Intel RST, and it still doesn't work.

Here is the thing. When the USB with the drivers is connected, there should be visible iaStorVD.sys or iaStorAC.sys visible for the installation, assuming this is what is being needed. Problem is that those .sys files are nowhere to be seen for the installation manager. Only .inf files are visible, and NOTHING else which is in the folders, and there are .exe, .sys, etc files in the folders.

I have tried every possible configuration in UEFI(apart from making factory reset), I have tried every possible configuration of secure boot, and CMS being disabled. Tried TWO Pendrives, tried 4 different USB ports, tried two different Windows ISOs. Still no result.

My PC:
Core i3-12100F, 8 GB RAM 3200 MHz, ASRock B660M-iTX/AC, RX 6500 XT, 250 GB Lexar NM610 SSD.

I am completely lost for words with how difficult can Windows 11 install be.

Jul 27, 2020
Windows XP used to have an issue where it wouldn't install if the bootable USB drive was put in a USB 3.0 port. It would keep asking for drivers and wouldn't go past the drive selection screen. Booting with USB 2.0 port would enable the installation to work correctly. I hope Windows 11 setup hasn't inherited some stupid bug like that.

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
Here's a harder way of doing it: install Linux. Install VirtualBox. Use the ISO to create a Windows guest VM. Pass the USB drive to the Windows guest and make it bootable with Rufus using the ISO you already have. If that still doesn't work, it's probably some hardware issue.
I can install any Linux distro, that I have on hand: Fedora, Ubuntu 22.10, 22.04 LTS, Pop!_OS 22.04 LTS.

Its absolutely not a hardware issue.

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
Funny thing: used Bootcamp assistant to create bootable USB Drive, just like Etcher advised me to do, when tried to use Win 10 ISO.

After creating bootable USB pen drive in Bootcamp it didn't show at the boot of the computer.

Go figure.

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
These steps will install Windows 11 properly.

Create an up to date USB install media by following the steps outlined here:

Then disconnect or disable all hdd /ssd drives but the one where you will install windows.

Insert the USB media tool, with the windows install files, into the board. Next startup and go to the board setup and ensure the board is configured to use UEFI boot settings, CSM is enabled and SATA mode set to AHCI.

On the motherboard boot device menu, select the command that identifies both the firmware mode and the device. For example, select UEFI: USB Drive or Windows Boot Manager: USB and list that device in the first boot slot on the board.

Reboot. Install begins.

When choosing an installation type, select Custom. On new disks, the drive will show a single area of unallocated space. If there are partitions, select each one and then "delete".

Select the unallocated space and click Next. Windows detects that the PC was booted into UEFI mode, partitions the drive using the GPT and begins the installation.

NOTE: Any data on the drive will be lost

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
That's for MBR not UEFI. I tried to avoid converting my Linux drive by using CSM and it didn't work.

As for the OP all of this has been tried and still failing to install. Other OS options install and run fine.

He has not tried to use the Media Creation Tool yet, because he can't. I still think that will solve his issue.
I can't believe he doesn't know anyone with a Windows PC or laptop.

Reactions: Muadib

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Media Creation Tool
True but, it's not "required" and wouldn't make much of a difference as it won't solve the install issue asking for drivers.

Even with 2 different ISO's though it's still possible they have been corrupted during download which could cause the driver prompt. The other issues I encountered when installing W11 that I mentioned are quirks that might still need to be investigated.

There are some oddities with W11 but, OP also tried W10 IIRC and it also failed. The issue seems to be hiding in the UEFI when it comes to Windows.

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
Currently Im trying to create VMs on Fedora Linux using the ISOs that I have downloaded previously.

Win 10 - installs, but cannot bypass through the OOBE and shows an error that it cannot finish the installation. So ISO - is ok.

Copying the Windows 11 ISO, and will see then.

Edit: Windows 11 boots, but shows prompt that this computer doesn't fulfill the minimum requirements of Windows 11 installation. So the ISO is again - ok.

And yes, 12100F, 8 GB RAM, RX 6500 XT, and 250 GB SSD are more than enough for Win 11 installation.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020
Win 10 - installs, but cannot bypass through the OOBE and shows an error that it cannot finish the installation. So ISO - is ok.
That is super weird. Windows should install fine inside a VM. What error is preventing it from proceeding? Network? That can be bypassed by doing Shift+F10, typing taskmgr and killing the Network Flow process.

Once it is installed, create a bootable USB from inside the VM using Media Creation Tool by connecting the USB drive to the VM.

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
Created Windows 10 installation using Fedora Media Writer, and contrary to the Etcher - this time it 100% fully booted.

Get this. Its shows THE SAME prompt, that no device drivers were found, like on Windows 11.

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
Currently Im trying to create VMs on Fedora Linux using the ISOs that I have downloaded previously.

Copying the Windows 11 ISO, and will see then.

Edit: Windows 11 boots, but shows prompt that this computer doesn't fulfill the minimum requirements of Windows 11 installation. So the ISO is again - ok.

And yes, 12100F, 8 GB RAM, RX 6500 XT, and 250 GB SSD are more than enough for Win 11 installation.

So you get an error at OOBE, and that means the ISO is OK?...

And Windows 11 won't start the install, but it's OK too?...

Requirements for Window 11:
Enable TPM in bios.
Disable CSM
Must be secure boot capable.

It's probably the TPM setting. Although installing in a VM may not detect these things correctly.

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
So you get an error at OOBE, and that means the ISO is OK?...

And Windows 11 won't start the install, but it's OK too?...

Requirements for Window 11:
Enable TPM in bios.
Disable CSM
Must be secure boot capable.

It's probably the TPM setting. Although installing in a VM may not detect these things correctly.

I've downloaded Windows 10 and Windows 11 ISOs now 4 times.

What would corrupt them, when every time I was downloading them from Microsofts site?

Yes, ISO should be fine because the installation started, everything was installed, just it could not finish the installation AFTER reboot of the VM, when all files were already copied.

So that pretty much rules out ISO corruption.

And yes, I used the exactly same ISO file to create Windows 10 install using Fedora Media Writer, and it booted, when with Etcher - it wasn't even showing as a bootable device.

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
Make sure you are using a native USB port, maybe even USB2. I know I have had it ask for drivers on an Asmedia USB port when installing.

Also, did you check your TPM settings in the bios? Since you did get the message that you computer didn't meet the requirements of 11.

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
Make sure you are using a native USB port, maybe even USB2. I know I have had it ask for drivers on an Asmedia USB port when installing.

Also, did you check your TPM settings in the bios? Since you did get the message that you computer didn't meet the requirements of 11.
TPM is enabled. It didn't meet the requirements only in VM. I was not able to get that prompt with native install.

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
Aaaaand, Windows 10 installation made from Windows Media Creation tool, is now installing Windows on my machine, natively.

For the love of god...

You need a UEFI bootable install image. The Media Creation Tool does this automatically. Never heard of Balena Etcher.

Just because it's booting, doesn't mean it's booting UEFI. I have never needed drivers during windows 10 or 11 install.

Hate to say I told you so...

Last edited: