Windows 10 wakes up and then goes back to sleep [Solved]

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
The system has returned from a low power state.

Sleep Time: ‎2016‎-‎01‎-‎30T04:36:41.190221500Z
Wake Time: ‎2016‎-‎01‎-‎30T04:41:50.900622600Z

Wake Source: Unknown
Everything is turned off (wake timers, etc). Investigation in progress. The monitor was kept in stand-by mode (amber light), but the PC was doing something and then it went back to sleep like 5 mins later. I was next to it monitoring. Some kind of maintenance, I reckon, but WHY the Wake Source is Unknown? Microsoft should be clear about these things, imo.

Last edited:

BW86

Lifer
Jul 20, 2004
Try turning off the option "Turn on Fast Startup" in "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\System Settings"

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
Another one interesting. Around the same time.

The system is entering sleep.

Sleep Reason: Application API

Try turning off the option "Turn on Fast Startup" in "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\System Settings"
Yeah, I remember your thread. Might do that at some point. I don't think it was installing updates.

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
Nailed it. It was Automatic Maintenance (the checkbox was clear though). But the time matches to the minute. So it must be that. Like I said, Microsoft should be more verbose about the logs it produces. "Unknown" or "Something Happened" isn't exactly the type of feedback I would expect.

Also, I don't like that there is no visible option of turning that Maintenance thingy off. Regedit here we come again!

EDIT: There was another task that may have triggered my computer as well. It's this:

Code:
C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg /waketimers
Timer set by [SERVICE] \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\svchost.exe (SystemEventsBroker) expires at 6:41:48 AM on 1/31/2016.
  Reason: Windows will execute 'NT TASK\Microsoft\Windows\Media Center\mcupdate_scheduled' scheduled task that requested waking the computer.

Funny, I haven't had Media Center related things installed since like Windows 8.0, but Windows 10 Pro is full of this "dual-purpose" crap. No problem Microsoft, I'll fix it for ya.

image.png

Just need to keep an eye during the updates that Microsoft will not fix MY computer to THEIR liking again.

Last edited: