Windows 10 upgrade

CRV

Apr 8, 2014
I’m trying to upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1, but I’m stuck at a black screen with a loading image. What to do?

RLGL

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2013
Does your computer mfgr support 10 for your board? Did you make a disk image prior to the attempt? At any rate just turn it off and it may recover.
For what it is worth I backup doc's etc with a continuous backup and image the drive once a week.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
More details please.

What method are you using for the upgrade? USB stick? System specs or brand and model number?

CRV

Apr 8, 2014
I restart the computer twice it it recover to the old Windows 8.1. A few years ago when Win 10 was stilll new, after installing it for a few days, my system crash. I might go the Win 7 route. I need Win 7 or Win 10 in order to use my new AMD RX 580 GPU.

Last edited:

RLGL

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2013
Does your computer/ board mfgr Support win 10 on that board? Yes proceed. No buy a new setup.

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
His specs support Windows 10. If i were you i'd backup any important data and then boot from the USB stick and format and clean install 10.

CRV

Apr 8, 2014
I have another issue. I installed Windows 7 and now I cannot connect to the internet. I have the Ethernet connected from the modem to the PC.

-Spam Removed-
daveybrat

Last edited by a moderator:

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
Windows 8.1 and 10 will find your ethernet but Windows 7 most likely doesn't. You have to download the drivers for it first.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I have another issue. I installed Windows 7 and now I cannot connect to the internet. I have the Ethernet connected from the modem to the PC.

You probably need to install the network drivers for your motherboard.

edit:

(daveybrat beat me by a hair!) ;)

CRV

Apr 8, 2014
Okay, I just downloaded the Ethernet and wifi drivers into a CD. How do I add it or put it to use in my PC?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Okay, I just downloaded the Ethernet and wifi drivers into a CD. How do I add it or put it to use in my PC?
OK, you burned the file(s) that you downloaded, onto a CD? Just eject the CD (finalize if necessary), and then pop it into the new machine, click on the File Folder on the TaskBar (File Explorer), should show your CD/DVD/BR drive, then find the files on the disc, and then select/highlight them, right-click and select "copy", then on the left-hand pane of File Explorer, navigate to the Downloads directory, then right-click and select "paste".

Then for each file you transferred, double-click it. If it's a ZIP file, there should be an item in the File Explorer window, under Extract, there should be an Extract All... and then select that, let it extract to the default named sub-directory, and then find SETUP.EXE, or AUTOPLAY.EXE if there's no SETUP.EXE (rare), and double-click it, in the extracted files directory. It should start the driver setup.

Do this for each of the drivers.

Start with the chipset drivers, then the Network drivers, then Video drivers, then the Sound drivers, then any Utilities that need to be installed too.

CRV

Apr 8, 2014
Okay, thanks guys. I got the wifi to work, but it's pretty slow compared to wire connected. The wired connection still isn't working. Anyone have any idea?

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Is device manager showing any devices it doesn't recognize? As long as you stay online, and prevent Windows from going to sleep for a day or less, Windows could very well update any drivers you are missing on its own. Since the machine came with Windows 8 (or 8.1) it is very likely Windows will be able to find drivers for most if not all hardware on its own.

CRV

Apr 8, 2014
I finally found and installed the missing Ethernet driver. Now it is working like normal. It was such a process. I had wifi, but it was slow and kept disconnecting. I download Driver Easy and didn't seem to fix it. I even purchased the pro version.

I was going to give up, but then decided to go through all my downloads again. Started clicking on random things. Finally then found the Ethernet driver.