Windows 10 - setting sleep to kick in > 5 hours but < never

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
If I'm leaving Windows PC to do something that will take a long time, like all night or all day, while I go away, Windows power settings only allows me to set it to sleep after 1-5 hours or 'never'. Neither option is ideal. Is there any way to set it to sleep after, say, 12 hours? (And if not, why not?).
(Just the normal home user edition)

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
What I would do for extended absences is to power down or manually put it to sleep. I don't trust automagic software.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Aha. Thanks very much. That seems a mysteriously hidden setting - you have to first create a named 'plan' and _then_ edit it. Seems, on first attempt, that you can't initially set it to anything more than 5 hours (the "change advanced..." option isn't there the first time)...but you can then go back and edit it to change it to a longer setting. Bit odd that you can't set it to what you want in the first place, but it gets me there in the end. Thanks, probably saved me a lot of time randomly trying things.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
What I would do for extended absences is to power down or manually put it to sleep. I don't trust automagic software.
If it was a question of weeks, probably. But when the job needs 10 hours and I'll be away for 24, telling it to sleep after 12 hours makes sense to me.