Windows 10 server, updates prevent access via RDP

zylander

Platinum Member
Aug 25, 2002
I have a small Windows 10 server running in my basement, no monitor or keyboard attached, just power and ethernet. The server works flawlessly, except when Windows decides it needs to update. Everytime Windows 10 does an update you have to go through that stupid "welcome" options screen which you need a monitor and keyboard for. Until this is done I cant remote into the computer. Ive tried to 'defer' updates which doesnt actually seem to work. Anyone know a work around for this? Either how to really turn off the updates or prevent the options menu from coming up upon restart?

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
You're pretty much stuck since you're using a consumer OS as a server. You can defer updates, you cannot defer upgrades which is where the "welcome" screen comes in because it's basically a "new" OS install. The only other option would be an IP KVM in the basement so you can connect to that rather than getting a keyboard/mouse hooked up to the computer.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
I want to make sure I understand what you mean with "that stupid 'welcome' options screen which you need a monitor and keyboard for." Are you talking about the welcome screen where it is asking for your password? Or are you talking about just the Windows OS Refreshes, like the Creators Update and the setup questions it asks?

If it's the former, there are ways around it:
http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-automatically-login-in-windows-10/

Also, possibly slightly off topic, but are you actually using the Internet with this Server? I use Windows Server 2008 and never grant it internet access unless I am actually running Windows Update, which I do a couple times a year. The rest of the time it is on the local network only, so I am a bit less worried about having these security updates. Of course, if it was running Windows 10, that frequency would be a bit different, depending on what the update was for.

zylander

Platinum Member
Aug 25, 2002
Sorry, I should have been more clear. Not the welcome screen where it asks for a password, the screen with the questions about security and sending data to microsoft.

I noticed the issue when I tried to RDP into the server one morning and could not connect however I could still FTP into it. I hooked a monitor and keyboard up to the server and rebooted it and the server wasnt auto logging into Windows, instead it was stuck on a customize settings screen after an update which i had to click through in order to get to the log in screen.

Unfortunately the server is connected to the internet and needs to be 24/7 as most of the time Im using it Im away from my home. Is there a way to auto fill in these security options after an update to prevent this or am I stuck having to hook up a monitor every time it updates?

I want to make sure I understand what you mean with "that stupid 'welcome' options screen which you need a monitor and keyboard for." Are you talking about the welcome screen where it is asking for your password? Or are you talking about just the Windows OS Refreshes, like the Creators Update and the setup questions it asks?

If it's the former, there are ways around it:
http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-automatically-login-in-windows-10/

Also, possibly slightly off topic, but are you actually using the Internet with this Server? I use Windows Server 2008 and never grant it internet access unless I am actually running Windows Update, which I do a couple times a year. The rest of the time it is on the local network only, so I am a bit less worried about having these security updates. Of course, if it was running Windows 10, that frequency would be a bit different, depending on what the update was for.

zylander

Platinum Member
Aug 25, 2002
Heres an example of the screen I saw;

ximg_55b91f890660f.jpg.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+pj+ws+js+rj+rp+rw+ri+cp+md.ic.lAPGuL3aSz.jpg

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Gotcha. Those should be pretty few and far between. You can also use the defer option for those updates, and only update them when you are ready.

As far as being able to connect for these screens, have you tried using Teamviewer?. I haven't actually verified this, I know other programs with similar capabilities offer connectability before the log on.

zylander

Platinum Member
Aug 25, 2002
Ok hopefully I wont have to deal with this too much then. When I originally set this up I had opted to defer the updates but I know that just delays them. I also just noticed that the defer updates button has now disappeared.

I havent tried Teamviewer but Ill look into it, thanks for the tip!