Windows 10 Pro retail, activate on new build with previous Windows 10 install?

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
So, I built a new PC this past weekend and attached my 5 SSD HDs that already had an installation of Windows 10 pro 64bit on it. It was on a system years ago that had Windows 7 Pro 64bit on it and I used the free Windows 10 upgrade they offered long ago. That system was updated with a new mobo and CPU and I used the same HDs I had on it and that system activated just fine. Now, using the same boot drive Windows 10 is nagging me about activating, so I attempt to activate and it says nope. I run the troubleshooter and it shows all my PCs that are linked to my account including the last one. I click this is the PC and MS throws up some statement saying they are having problems activating. So, My question is twofold:

1. I have several unused Windows 7 Pro keys, can I use one of those to activate this new build?

2. I have no problem re-purchasing a new Windows 10 pro license or key but I DONT want to have to reinstall as my boot drive is 2TB and I have loads of SW I don't want to reistall. Will just inserting the new license activate?

The funny thing is that my Office 2010 license reactivated with no problem.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
It may be that the activation servers are overloaded or unreachable right now. (Did you remember to load the LAN NIC driver?)
Will just inserting the new license activate?
It should, but see #1. If the problem is just unreachable activation servers, then a new key may not help.

I'd give it a week, leave it running, see if activates by then.

I had a "stubborn" key for Win10, it gave me some error about activating, I started a thread about it, then I looked at it a while later, and it showed it was activated after all!

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
It may be that the activation servers are overloaded or unreachable right now. (Did you remember to load the LAN NIC driver?)

It should, but see #1. If the problem is just unreachable activation servers, then a new key may not help.

I'd give it a week, leave it running, see if activates by then.

I had a "stubborn" key for Win10, it gave me some error about activating, I started a thread about it, then I looked at it a while later, and it showed it was activated after all!
Yea, nic is working and browsing is fine. Maybe I should just leave it on for a couple of days.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Update. Used an unused windows 7 pro key and all is good. Thanks.