windows 10 pro keys selling for cheap = legit?

luv2liv

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
i see a guy on hardforum selling win 10 pro keys for $17 per machine.
i thought that was a pretty good deal! then i found someone selling for $6 on ebay, even better! so i bought one and it works as advertised
how is it possible? are these legit? activation went through fine.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Stolen keys from a MAK license. You've been scammed, and Microsoft will deactivate the keys sooner than later.

luv2liv

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
I didnt know what MAK is until googling. seems it is good for about 180 days. afterward the seller is pretty cleared of any ebay or paypal complaints. ouch
thanks.
so the cheapest legit place to buy is from newegg n amazon?

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Unfortunately, yes. Windows is one of those things where Microsoft sets a hard minimum price. (OEMs get it for less, but they have their own activation system)

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
There was this Microsoft partnered site that sold them for $40+ (not OEM), can't remember the URL now though. I bought a Win 7 pro (works in activating Win 10 pro) from them before for a business laptop and it still works to this day.

I wouldn't trust the $17 or anything on ebay for that cheap.

Ratman6161

Mar 21, 2008
Price too low to be true = scam. A year or two ago I bought a copy of VMWare workstation for a ridiculously low price. I was very suspicious, but it was in Amazon.com. So I figured amazon wouldn't let pirated software on their site. So chose to download...through amazon. I unzipped the downloaded file and it was the VMware installers plus a warez style key generator which generates a key that gives you a non-expiring install but will not activate with VMware . Amazon was good about it and refunded my money and kicked the reseller off of amazon. But lesson learned.

Ratman6161

Mar 21, 2008
I didnt know what MAK is until googling. seems it is good for about 180 days. afterward the seller is pretty cleared of any ebay or paypal complaints. ouch
thanks.
An MAK is a Multiple Access Key. Its what you get if you are a business and have a volume license agreement. Installs MAK keys can activate many copies of the product. For example one place I worked we bought 50 seats. Every time I activated a machine, MS incremented my total usage upwards by 1. I could log into the volume license site and see how many I had used. But MS had our account capped at 500. I assume this was to allow me to cycle machines, in and out of service, re-image etc. They make it a big enough number where legitimate users will never hit the cap.

I'm assuming the $17 "licenses" were from some IT guy who either accidentally or deliberately let his MAK key leak. Installs based on MAK keys will not expire. But sooner or later MS will figure out the key has been compromised and then, yes it probably will quit working .

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I just got a product key from :rolleyes: it worked perfectly. I'm so excited to share my experience here. their customer service is 1st class and I will definitely be recommending the site and I will be using the site again.

Thank you for your recommendation of another shady product keys site.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I wonder about Kinguin as they have a good rating at resellerratings but at the top of the page they recommend using phone activation for their keys.

https://www.resellerratings.com/store/KINGUIN
https://www.kinguin.net/category/19429/windows-10-professional-oem-key/

Google them and you will see they are a marketplace for gray market keys just like any other place that sell keys like this. It will likely activate until one day it doesn't.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/4lfmty/warning_dont_buy_anything_from_kinguin_details/

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I read through it and they did offer to make things right with the guy but he refused the refund so that's on him.

There are many more user reviews, I just linked one. They are definitely a gray market just like any other place that sells software for significantly less than it should cost. However, I am not saying what they are doing is illegal (different laws in different locations). However, they are for sure not a legit or authorized retailer. Heck, they're really no different than the people who sell Windows keys on USB drives on every Craigslist location for $20. The code will activate, but there's no guarantee how long it will remain that way.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I would never use them myself.:D The last time I purchased retail software I went through VioSoftware, now RoyalBuyer, for my retail 7 ultimate but that was years ago and I got the retail package. I think that the safest way to buy the OS online is probably straight from MS.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I would never use them myself.:D The last time I purchased retail software I went through VioSoftware, now RoyalBuyer, for my retail 7 ultimate but that was years ago and I got the retail package. I think that the safest way to buy the OS online is probably straight from MS.

Good choice. I myself bought a retail Windows 10 USB from Jet when they offered 20% off new user coupon. $80 bucks and I don't have to worry about anything. :)

Not So Mild

Jun 9, 2017
I wonder about Kinguin as they have a good rating at resellerratings but at the top of the page they recommend using phone activation for their keys.

I actually bought one from kinguin a few weeks ago. When I purchased it, they actually sent me a picture of the sticker with the code on it. I thought that was strange, but whatever. It was definitely an automated system from one of the more used sellers on the site.

I've never purchased keys from a gray market before, but I have a few friends who have with no issues. I guess we'll see in a few months if all is still going good, and if not, I'll just buy a new key.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Good choice. I myself bought a retail Windows 10 USB from Jet when they offered 20% off new user coupon. $80 bucks and I don't have to worry about anything. :)
I've taken advantage of Jet's new buyer 15% discount myself on some cartridges for my braun electric razor so I know they're good.
I actually bought one from kinguin a few weeks ago. When I purchased it, they actually sent me a picture of the sticker with the code on it. I thought that was strange, but whatever. It was definitely an automated system from one of the more used sellers on the site.

I've never purchased keys from a gray market before, but I have a few friends who have with no issues. I guess we'll see in a few months if all is still going good, and if not, I'll just buy a new key.
I hope that it works out for you never giving you any problems.

andy2000

Jul 5, 2011
I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of these sites are selling old Windows 7 keys taken from the COAs on scrap PCs. They still work to activate Windows 10.

bakshe

Feb 24, 2018

I visited the above link and it looks OK to me. I have an old PC with Windows XP SP3 i need to upgrade it to windows 7 Home premium, here i can find cheap OEM Keys should I buy them to upgrade my OS to windows 7. any suggestions