Windows 10 options

tribeca600

May 18, 2017
I am considering building a new system but wanted to check if I can port my existing Windows 10 Pro license over. I used ShowKeyPlus and also slmgr -dli and both told me that my license was retail. However, at least once source says that people who upgraded from Win 7 (which I did) show OEM installs as retail WTF? Also, ShowKeyPlus says BIOS OEM marker is present.

Now, I don't want to pay $199 for a retail copy of Windows 10, they got to be joking, that is nuts... I found a few places that show you can get Windows 10 pro for $99, is this legit?

https://softwarekeep.com/microsoft-windows-10-pro-edition-64-bit.html

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
The licence allows you to run one instance of the software at a time on your present machine. You may back up the install but otherwise cannot copy the software. Cogito ergo sum: You cannot "port" the licence in the sense of using one licence in two machines. You may transfer a licence from one device to another but activation may need some intervention depending on whether you use the same mainboard .

Last edited by a moderator:

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
NewEgg sells 10 Home for 99.00 and Pro for $139.

For the $40 difference I would Not take the Risk.

Depending on the type of the original Installation, one can transfer Win 10 to a New computer by calling MS Support.

The transfer might not be allowed if the original is upgrade from Win 8/9 OEM that came with specific computer.

P.S. In and era that 4 people who visit a mid Level Restaurant leave ther $200 it kind of silly to complain on a cost of software of similar price that is used for years.

:cool:

tribeca600

May 18, 2017
complaining mainly due to the inflated price for system builders.. one can buy a Dell Inspiron budget desktop for $379 that cones with Windows 10 Pro. I'm thinking Dell must've paid a no more than $30-40 to MS. The retail cost is 6 times that.

(Spam removed)

Last edited by a moderator:

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
If you would buy the same amount of Win 10 Lic. as Dell do you would get it for the same price as Dell..

It is called Wholesale vs Retail Price.

So get started, you would need to build few Millions computers for it.:cocktail:

:cool: