Question Windows 10 NVMe and SSD question

TitusTroy

Dec 17, 2005
I'm confused and need help...I have 2 hard drives...one is a Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2 and the other is a Samsung 860 EVO 1TB 2.5 inch SATA III...the SATA drive is plugged into the SATA port 2 on my motherboard...did a clean install last night with my NVMe and everything went fine...today I decided to plug my 2.5 inch SATA drive to get Windows 11 installed as a completely separate install (not as a secondary drive)

but the BIOS doesn't list the 860 EVO as a boot drive...when I load into Windows it shows me both drives in Disk Management as well as in 'This PC'...how do I get Windows to recognize the 860 EVO as a separate drive so I can do a clean install of Windows 11 (while still keeping the 970 EVO with Windows 10)...why can't I just boot up with a Windows 11 USB stick and have Windows show me both drives and let me choose where I want to have the new OS installed

I attached a pic of the drives being recognized within Windows on my NVMe install (which is showing as Drive C):

HD.png

TitusTroy

Dec 17, 2005
Remove the M2 and install W11 and then you'll need to put the M2 back in and setup dual boot likely from a USB Linux using grub.

I guess my thought process was wrong...I thought I could have 2 independent drives...that's not possible?...I can't have the NVMe and 2.5" SATA 3 both as separate drives?

there's no way of disabling the NVMe through the BIOS?...it's easy to unplug the 2.5" drive but to remove the NVMe would be annoying as I would have to remove the GPU first etc

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
Yea... what they said.

I have 2 SSD's, each with an OS (10 and 7...) and I use the boot menu to swap between them... but when I install ANY OS, I do it with ONLY the intended OS drive plugged in.

Reactions: bigboxes

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
I'm confused and need help...I have 2 hard drives...one is a Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2 and the other is a Samsung 860 EVO 1TB 2.5 inch SATA III...the SATA drive is plugged into the SATA port 2 on my motherboard...did a clean install last night with my NVMe and everything went fine...today I decided to plug my 2.5 inch SATA drive to get Windows 11 installed as a completely separate install (not as a secondary drive)

but the BIOS doesn't list the 860 EVO as a boot drive...when I load into Windows it shows me both drives in Disk Management as well as in 'This PC'...how do I get Windows to recognize the 860 EVO as a separate drive so I can do a clean install of Windows 11 (while still keeping the 970 EVO with Windows 10)...why can't I just boot up with a Windows 11 USB stick and have Windows show me both drives and let me choose where I want to have the new OS installed

I attached a pic of the drives being recognized within Windows on my NVMe install (which is showing as Drive C):

View attachment 58088

Did you solve this problem ?