News Windows 10 Mobile's life support will be switched off in December

Thrashard

Oct 6, 2016
Just saw this posted today and what a shock , but guess needed to be done. I thought M$ said there wont be a Windows 11 ??

https://www.theinquirer.net/inquire...life-support-will-be-switched-off-in-december

Real shame, I love my Nokia phone. It takes high quality photos and professional video even at loud concerts. The only trade off is I don't get all the trendy hipster apps and that is a bonus.

I still have stock in Nokia but selling off stuff to M$ was soo wrong. They had a real good future plan and advanced map system. I think the phone had Win 7 or 8 and Map system was better than anyone. But M$ started disabling programs, forcing users to upgrade to 10, and the new map system sucked without original Nokia format.

Nokia has a bunch of Graphene patents.

Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I have 3 Windows smartphones, no others:

My original Nokia Lumia 520 I bought for $60

My Nokia Lumia 640, I bought as an upgrade for $30

My Alcatel IDOL 4S, bought for $100 from Microsoft, because the 640's headphone jack stopped working.

I had a doctor appointment today, didn't want to be late. So, I prepared two of my Windows phones to get me there on time: The 520 and the IDOL 4S. I suppose I could have prepared all three, but it seemed two should suffice. The IDOL 4S is the phone I use, but I've found it's GPS driving app to be unreliable. Today, I figured out that it was looking for a bluetooth means of audio, so I changed that to "this device," and it spoke up. Nice. So, I started my navigation with the IDOL 4S. It told me to make a left then a right. OK. Then it lapsed into silence and I had to reach into the back seat, get my pack and extract the 520. It didn't fail me.

I don't know why I even upgraded from the 520. Maybe because it wouldn't never run Windows 10. Maybe because the 640 only cost me $30. There's a thread here that probably explains it, I may have started it. The title is Upgrading from Nokia Lumia 520 GoPhone to MS Lumia 640. I can't find it for some reason, Firefox just says "File not found." The link I have is from an email notification:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2470149&goto=newpost

It's from April 2016.

Edit: Searching for the thread title instead of the link has turned it up:

Upgrading from Nokia Lumia 520 GoPhone to MS Lumia 640

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I still have stock in Nokia but selling off stuff to M$ was soo wrong. They had a real good future plan and advanced map system. I think the phone had Win 7 or 8 and Map system was better than anyone. But M$ started disabling programs, forcing users to upgrade to 10, and the new map system sucked without original Nokia format.
Yeah, as I said in my previous post... yesterday made the case -- My Nokia 520 Windows 8 phone has an infinitely better map system than my Windows 10 Alcatel IDOL 4S. The 520's system just works. I removed the SIM and cut it down to fit the Alcatel, so I get no data, but it doesn't need data for the GPS to work. After my doctor appt yesterday, I tried the Alcatel again, thinking maybe I could find a way to make it function adequately but after 5+ minutes it still complained it couldn't make a GPS connection. I turned on the 520 and it found one almost immediately and I shut off the Alcatel, POS!

It's sort of ironic. The reason I bought the Nokia Lumia 520 Windows phone was to get GPS navigation for my car... cheaply. It does that indeed. No data plan needed. It still does that and far better than the glitzy Alcatel phone I've been using. If I didn't have to make the occasional call, I suppose I'd just use the 520 for everything.

My next phone will be Android. I'm a busy guy, it's not high priority, but I'll start investigating.

Last edited:

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Just like desktop windows 10, the mobile windows 10 was fairly buggy early on. They never supported it enough to fix the issues like they have with the desktop.

It is a shame, windows phone 8 was awesome, best mobile UI ever. Just never got developer support. I still miss kid's corner. And the BT support is still better than android, I could listen to the radio and have the navigation interrupt with directions over BT. The equivalent on android is just not worth the hassle it takes to setup correctly and it still doesn't work as well.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Just bought 3 cheap android phones, LG Rebel 3's for $30 each, for use to control my 3 TCL 43" 4K Roku TVs using the Roku Mobile app for Android. The Windows version sucks and Roku won't update it. I don't figure to use a plan for any of these phones. I figure at some point I will buy another Android phone and get a plan. Meantime, I'll use my Alcatel IDOL 4S Windows 10 phone as long as I can stand it (the Alcatel IDOL 4S phone has pretty awesome screen, is a pretty high end phone. I kinda know my way around Windows Phone) or until I want an Android PHONE for something, i.e. using data/phone. Will get something using Verizon's towers around here... seems that the other networks plain suck. I never take calls on my smartphone around town or at home, only use it away from home when I need to make a call or be accessible to others, i.e. vacation, etc.