• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Question Windows 10 mandatory update. Now shuts down after 10 minutes (ignores power settings)

Rerednaw

Mar 10, 2003
I have found thousands of posts with this issue but no clear fix from Microsoft. Has anyone come up with a workaround?
My computer was working fine till a mandatory update about 2 months ago. Restore points won't work because MS just forces the update again.
I've changed power settings, flashed the bios, etc...

Any suggestions (maybe it's time to go back to Linux again) welcome.

Steltek

Platinum Member
Mar 29, 2001
I'm not sure exactly what you are saying here. Are you saying Windows is stuck in an update loop (i.e. trying to install the same update over and over), or is it a situation where it is trying to install an update that you are deferring because you don't want to install it?

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator and Elite Member
Aug 22, 2001
You can tweak win updates a number of ways, but I think doing it with group policy is what you probably need to do. You do not have to completely turn them off, so if you know which kind of update it is, you can simply deny that one, but allow others.

Scroll down to the group policy instructions

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
can`t you go into safe mode and disable updates??
Of course you might need to disconnect from the internet to do so....

ASK THE COMMUNITY