Question Windows 10 Laptop with multiple issues

GPag

Mar 14, 2020
Hi,

I have a Spectre x360 13-4002dx that is having multiple problems. The system is running Windows 10, 64 bit home version and has the latest updates applied.
First, it can’t make up its mind on which boot error it wants to display or if it wants to just start up with no problem.
In trying to figure out what is going on I have run UEFI diagnostics, HP hardware diagnostic tools and have also installed the latest BIOS update. No hardware issues show up when I use system test tools. The problems were occurring before I updated the BIOS and didn’t change after the BIOS update.
Once I do manage to get to a login screen and log in, it is very slow opening and closing files like documents and photos.
Finally, it will randomly just shut down.

The power plan for the system puts the system in sleep mode when the cover is closed. The last thing done with the system for the day is to close the cover. The next morning the power light may be on or it may be off. It does not make a difference in the startup whether the power light is on or off.

So, the best way to explain what it is doing is to list a typical process to get it to a login screen. There is no pattern that I can discern to the errors and it doesn’t always start with the same error, it could be any of them. Rarely, it will boot and get to the login screen without any error.
This what it did when I was playing with it after the BIOS update completed:
* BIOS update successful
* System Restarted
* Blue screen with frown graphic and QAR code, screen said system ran into a problem and needed to restart
* Powered itself off
* I started it
* HP logo screen
* Blue screen with frown graphic and QAR code, screen said system ran into a problem and needed to restart
* Powered itself off
* I started it
* HP logo
* Got Preparing Automatic repair screen
* Asked to choose kbd layout, chose layout
* New screen with two options, Troubleshoot and Turn off
* Chose Troubleshoot
* Chose Startup Repair
* Got Diagnosing your PC screen
* Got screen that said Startup repair couldn’t repair your PC; gave two options, Shutdown and Advanced Options
* Chose Advanced Options
* Got screen with Troubleshoot and Turn off options
* I shut it off
* I turned it on
* Hp logo
* Powered itself off
* I started it
* Got Preparing Automatic Repair screen
* Choose keyboard layout screen
* Choose option, Troubleshoot or Turn off screen
* Chose Troubleshoot
* I shut it off without choosing any of the Troubleshooting options
* Turned it on
* Was able to log In
* Shut it off
* Turned it on
* Was able to log In
* Turned it off
* Turned it on
* Was able to log In
* I shut it down, did not just turn it off
* Turned it on
* Shut itself off
* I turned it on
* Was able to log In

Sometimes it starts off with the frown/QAR screen, sometimes the preparing automatic repair screen, sometimes the same error screen will repeat, sometimes it will just sit with a black screen until I turn it off.
Rarely, it will come up without any errors.
Another startup error it sometimes displays, since the bios update, is a cmos checksum error.

I don’t know if this is hardware or software.
Is there anything I should try before doing a fresh install of Windows?
For the cmos checksum error, could the choose battery need replacement?
Any help in figuring this out before my wife (her laptop) throws the laptop against the wall will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
CMOS checksum error possibly the CMOS battery, your prior BIOS/ESCD configuration has been reset or changed to some defaults, that is a mismatch for the previous system/hardware configuration. Have you attempted to enter UEFI BIOS and look over all your settings. e.g.
Turn off the computer, press the power button, and then repeatedly press the Esc key until the Startup Menu opens. Press f10 to enter BIOS Setup Utility. -- Open the BIOS Setup Utility
Probably can also just press and hold F10 to enter SETUP.

Could also be other power issue such as failing battery.

solidsnake1298

Aug 7, 2009
Put a linux install on a USB flash drive, boot into that. Does it still crash? Then it is likely hardware related. Check that the heatsink fan is still spinning. Maybe the thermal paste is dried and cracked and a fresh application of thermal paste may help.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
CMOS battery is one possibility, although it could be just one of many issues. As @solidsnake1298 suggests, an overheating CPU can cause serious issues, even though the unit in question has a 15W TDP. Sometimes repasting does not fix a laptop, because occasionally a tiny flaw in manufacturing can ruin the heatpipe over time. This means a temp monitoring program should be installed before any work to the heatsink to ensure that the repaste worked, and that CPU is not continuing to overheat. Also obviously pet hair, dust, etc. can cause overheating as well.

GPag

Mar 14, 2020
I can understand CPU overheating being an issue for the crashes. If I turn off the laptop and let it completely cool down it still experiences the startup issues.
I did get into the UEFI/BIOS settings but will check that out again. I’ll also replace the CMOS battery to see if that helps.
The main battery was replaced this summer when the previous battery started to swell.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
It would be wise to simply install the software to monitor CPU to eliminate it from consideration. If the cooling system is malfunctioning it may only take seconds for overheating to occur.

One free alternative: https://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/