Windows 10 install - Do you even need to create a local account?

omega3

Feb 19, 2015
When first setting up windows 10 you can skip the "make it yours" step where it asks for a Microsoft account, but if you skip next screen it asks "create an account for this pc" where it asks to name your computer and optionally set a password (which i don't need). Now, can you actually also skip this step and just click next without creating any account whatsoever for this pc? If you don't even name your pc, what will happen? I would be the only one using the pc.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
You must have at least one account, why would you even want to skip it?
If you are asking, can you make a no password login, then, yes.
Basically, you go into the user accounts dialog, and uncheck the "Users must enter a username and password to use this computer", and fix it there.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
If you install with a MS account you can never go back, if you install with a local account you can individually manage portions requiring MS account access and associated settings.

Reactions: PliotronX

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
I would highly recommend having a local account as a way of logging on even when your primary is a MS account. I've seen too many problems with MS accounts locking people out and in particular without an alternate means of communication to send password reset codes.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
You need at least one account and password.

Create a Local Account with Password and then use this configuration.

Righr Click on the Start and Click on Run.

Type into Run control userpasswords2

In the Window that open Uncheck "User must etc......".

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
I see using a Microsoft Account instead of a local account as a potentially huge security hole. The only thing I see worse is storing your Bitlocker keys online with the same account. While it is not likely to happen, with a MS account which is also your admin account, MS could theoretically gain access to your files and you not ever know about it. Could you imagine MS having the keys to thousands of PCs and the government somehow finding a legal loophole to get a warrant for that information?

I don't have an issue with MS accounts in general. I only dislike them being used at the root/admin level. For normal user accounts I don't have a problem.

omega3

Feb 19, 2015
I would highly recommend having a local account as a way of logging on even when your primary is a MS account. I've seen too many problems with MS accounts locking people out and in particular without an alternate means of communication to send password reset codes.
Can you use "master" as username or is it better to get something unique?

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
Can you use "master" as username or is it better to get something unique?
The username is less important than a strong password if this is your admin account. That being said, I would avoid industry standard terms for superuser accounts like "root" or "admin". Since this is a local account, the username isn't all that important.

Reactions: PliotronX

zigzag03

Dec 14, 2001
On this subject, I had updated mine from 7 while it was free, and did not have any of the MSOverlord user account problems, but when the anniversary update came along, it instantly made me log in via my MS credentials with no other choice. Frustrating.