Windows 10 Fall Update Memory Usage

FearoftheNight

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2003
Hey guys just updated to the Fall Update of W10 and I'm noticing less memory usage across the board by about 8% w/ the same usage pattern I have. Anyone else noticing this?

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
can you elaborate on this?

Various postings will do better than I can.

Windows 10 build 10525 introduces an additional stage to the process described above. Instead of being written to disk, trimmed pages belonging to a working set are moved to the modified list, are compressed and then moved to the system working set. Only when the availability of physical RAM runs critically low, Memory Manager writes pages to disk.

Pages are stored in compression stores, for which there is one for all legacy desktop apps and other non-UWP processes, and one for each Universal Windows Platform (UWP) app. Because compression stores are held in the system working set, the size of the system working set grows, as UWP apps are suspended.

When an app requires a memory page that’s been swapped out, if it is held in a compression store, Memory Manager decompresses it and returns it – known as a soft compression fault. Otherwise, a hard fault occurs, and the page is read from disk and decompressed.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
The memory compression sounds interesting to me. Would this prove advantageous on a cheap Windows 8.1 Bay Trail Atom tablet, that has limited hardware resources? (1GB RAM, 16GB eMMC?)

Right now, I'm running Win8.1, with minimal apps (Firefox, Skype), and have like 2GB or less free on the device.

I'm curious about the speed / space trade-offs with the memory compression of Windows 10. It's a 1.33Ghz quad-core Atom (Z3735F, I think). Currently, paging to the eMMC isn't actually all that bad. Memory commit size is probably around 2GB with several tabs open and Skype open. I'm not sure how that would be, if one of the CPU cores was constantly having to compress and decompress that memory, to get it in and out of the 1GB of RAM. Certainly, I think that would affect the battery life negatively, rather than just straight paging to the eMMC.

Might be something to test out, I have more than one of these tablets.

Edit: Found this:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...s/d4ee4729-4d44-487f-891a-4897a24bd76a?auth=1
VI
Vince2012 replied on

I'm am currently running Windows 10 Pro Preview Build 10130 on my Winbook TW700. I'm sure this will be the same process for the TW801 and TW101. To accomplish this task you must do the following (first get 3 at least 8GB USB drives). You also need a USB mouse and keyboard along with a 4-port hub).

1. Make a recovery USB of your Windows 8.1 w/Bing installed on the TW700. Set this aside.

2. Create a driver USB by using another USB. Copy the folder c:\windows\system32\DriverStore to the usb.

3. On another Windows computer download the 32-bit Windows 10 Preview ISO (most current build is 10130).

4. On the same Windows computer go to the Microsoft website and download/install Windows 7 USB/DVD program to create a bootable USB.

5. Plug in your last USB to this Windows computer and run the USB/DVD program. Point to the ISO file that you downloaded and save to you USB. Please note the USB will be reformatted and a bootable Windows 10 image will be installed.

6. Plug both the driver and bootable USB into the Winbook hub.

7. When powering up the TW700, press and hold the F12 key. After the Winbook logo appears a text box will appear asking what device do you want to boot from. Pick the bootable USB drive. Mine was number 3.

8. Windows 10 will begin to install. A dialog box will open listing the different partitions. First delete all of them. One will not be able to be deleted but it shows zero space. With this you are creating on big space for the W10 to install into. Continue with the install process.

9. After a short time Windows 10 will be installed. Please note only your kb and mouse will work as you now need to update the drivers.

10. Open Device manager and then System Devices. The first driver you need to update/install is the I2C Controller. This will find all of the hw devices on the Winbook that need updating. Right click I2c and then Update Driver Software. Click on browse and select the Driverstore folder you copied to the USB. You'll now see multiple devices appear with an explanation mark or unknown that need the drivers updated.

11. Go down the list and select those devices and update the driver following the above. You'll notice one of the display drivers will get an error, thats ok when you reboot it should be resolved.

12. When all device drivers are updated, reboot the Winbook.

13. You now have Windows 10 Pro Preview installed. At this time you change Lock Rotation and if you use if in Landscape mode open the Intel Display utility and rotate the screen 270 degrees.

14. Apply any updates to Win10.

I'm am very pleased with Windows 10 on my Winbook TW700. Good luck and have fun.

17 people found this helpful

Last edited: