Windows 10 Corrupted After 1st Shutdown After Reinstall

owensdj

Golden Member
Jul 14, 2000
I have a fairly new HP Pavilion 590 desktop machine that became unable to boot Windows 10 after a shutdown a few days ago. Windows would start booting and I'd just get a screen that flashed black and blue.

I got into the Recovery Environment using a Windows install USB flash drive and did a Startup Repair. That failed, and the log entry said the problem was a missing or corrupt bootres.dll file in the C:\Windows\boot\resources\custom folder. Doing some searches I see that's a pretty common problem in Windows 10 1803. None of the possible fixes worked so I thought I'd just reinstall.

F11 didn't work to get me into the HP Factory Restore on the hard drive, so I wiped all partitions and reinstalled from scratch using a install USB flash drive made using the MCT. It worked fine installing Windows and rebooting for driver and update installs, but the first time I shut down, Windows was unable to boot again. Any ideas?

owensdj

Golden Member
Jul 14, 2000
VirtualLarry, thanks for the reply. I don't think that's the problem because I'm not installing an HP keyboard driver or using an HP keyboard.

I'm thinking the problem is somehow related to the machine's Intel Optane memory. That would explain why it seems to work fine until the first shut down. Maybe the Optane cache isn't getting written to the hard drive on power downs?