Question Windows 10 computer doesn't trust MP3 files on my NAS

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
IIRC, never had this problem with my other Windows computers, of which I have several with versions 10, 7 and XP of Windows.

My new Windows 10 laptop gives me this message when I double click an MP3 file on my Synology NAS:

Synology screen shot outside network warning.jpg
M:\ is a mapped network drive in Windows on the computer. I have 4 mapped drives: M, V, P and W. Why does this computer see the mapped drives as outside my local network? And how do I correct this?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
That's kind of odd, that it sees them as "outside your network". Do you have your NIC connection set to "Private" or "Public"? Try setting it to "Private" when on the home wifi.

Also, does this new laptop, have Windows 10, or Windows 10 S-Mode, which might additionally be blocking access to the file.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
That's kind of odd, that it sees them as "outside your network". Do you have your NIC connection set to "Private" or "Public"? Try setting it to "Private" when on the home wifi.

Also, does this new laptop, have Windows 10, or Windows 10 S-Mode, which might additionally be blocking access to the file.
It's Windows 10 Pro.

The Synology tech support guy I talked to earlier had the same reaction, that it was odd.

Just made that change from Public to Private for the connection. Will see if that fixes it.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I think that you might need to log out and back in again to get it to take effect.

BTW, this isn't an ".mp3.exe" file is it? You weren't hacked by a ransomware script on your NAS?

Make sure that "view file extensions" and "show hidden files" is enabled under the View options menu in Explorer.exe.

Edit: I once had to agree to a permission dialog on my client Windows 10 Pro box, to copy a few Linux ISO files FROM my NAS. I thought that was weird too, that normally doesn't happen. I think that went away after rebooting the NAS, and maybe the Win10 Pro box.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
OK, well, it's still happening. These aren't files I downloaded. These are MP3's I recorded myself on my own devices. One being a Windows computer, the other being an iRiver recorder with its internal hard drive.

To me (well, you see the message in the OP) it appears to be a Windows networking issue. I changed the wifi connection to private from public but that doesn't appear to have changed anything. I logged out and then back in, still happens. I have a Windows 10 tablet that doesn't have this problem and its wifi connection is Public, not Private. Really don't know what to try at this point.

MP3 file type is configured to open with Winamp, which I installed today, a very old version but I never have trouble with it. I just went to open a WAV file, there was no association, I created one with Winamp and then was confronted with the same security message.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I vaguely remember admonitions about Windows 10 and "losing control over your Mp3 files", among other supposed horrors of Win10.

Maybe get Linux?

Edit: *** Try @mxnerd 's suggestion thread first.

I'm guessing that the setting in the Windows Networking properties, about "fetch license file for downloaded media" is ENABLED, and it can't find an associated .lic file online that corresponds with your media file's hash.

Open WMP, and disable that setting, if you can. Maybe it's in IE as well.

1573180321077.png

1573180575487.png

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I'll try some of that stuff. But what concerns me now is that text in the message shown in the OP (the screen shot) that says that the file is in a location outside of my local network. Why in the hell is my NAS considered outside my local network? Is it supposed to be???

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Larry, your last post appears to have attachments, but they appear as text in your message only. I can only see the attachments if I reply to your post, then the graphics are shown. What in the devil is that about???

This may seem stupid but I can't find WMP on this computer.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Can't find WMP in the list of programs or in a folder within Programs, but the context menu for an MP3 on my NAS allows me to open the MP3 in WMP. I get the same security warning.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Larry, your last post appears to have attachments, but they appear as text in your message only. I can only see the attachments if I reply to your post, then the graphics are shown. What in the devil is that about???

This may seem stupid but I can't find WMP on this computer.
Aha, WMP is under Window Accessories. I see the Security settings screen, your other attachment, I don't see that... not in WMP. Did you get that there?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I imagine that VLC will have the same issue, can't imagine why not. Anyway, I don't want to use VLC because Winamp works in tandem with a utility I use to chop MP3 files into segments.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Did you notice that the title bar in that picture said "Shutup10"? Did you web-search that?
OK, so I search on it, find download and download from MajorGeeks. I run the EXE download and that screen comes up... it doesn't appear to be an installation file, it's the utility itself. The screen comes up, similar to your graphic. So, how does this work? As long as it's open it does those things and when you close it it doesn't? Do I have to change a setting (or more) in there to fix my problem? Which setting(s)? I mean, I have it open, haven't changed anything and I still can't open an MP3 on my NAS without that nag about it being suspicious.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Still think it could be related to intranet settings somehow.

Yeah, that looks to be the right tree to climb. I was thinking, set up as trusted site. Will, I figure, need to do it with each of my 4 mapped drives on my NAS. Actually, maybe not, if Windows doesn't complain about files on the other drives. Right now I'm only aware of problems with MP3 and WAV files, but of course, there may be others.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Still think it could be related to intranet settings somehow.

Yup, that fixed it. Instead of adding each mapped drive (4 of them) as trusted sites I added the IP address for my NAS, simple enough. I just played an MP3 on my M: music drive and wasn't made to confirm my approval!

Thanks!

Edit: Is that a dangerous thing to do, to make my entire NAS a trusted zone? I keep a lot of downloads there in one of my NAS's mapped drives. Some of those downloads could be harmful! Maybe I should leave that drive outside the trusted sites??? If there's any music on that drive, I could move it to the M: drive.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
I think you should use mapped drives instead just one IP address.

One IP address will represent whole NAS device, with mapped drive, you can have better control.

Put all music files under one directory on the NAS and map that folder as another drive, then only trust that mapped drive.

Last edited:
Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I think you should use mapped drives instead just one IP address.

One IP address will represent whole NAS device, with mapped drive, you can have better control.

Put all music files under one directory on the NAS and map that folder as another drive, then only trust that mapped drive.
Yup, thanks for the confirmation!!! Gonna do it right now.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Dang... when I try to add a mapped drive to the trusted zone, Windows adds the URL for the NAS, period. Tried a variety of workarounds but it happens every time. I enter M: and it comes up with \\192.168.1.56 which is the NAS IP. What am I doing wrong?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Well, maybe it's OK with the whole NAS "trusted." Evidently, launching EXE files still brings up the message asking me if I trust the executable. So, the level of trust is limited. Not sure it's adequate, but figure it maybe is.

I just checked out this site. It was suggested by my NAS support.