Windows 10 caching network documents?

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I recently upgraded a few laptops here from Win7 to Win10.

Our DMS stores documents in a "\\share\folder" structure.

Within each of those \folder directories there are 100s of thousands of .pdfs

On the Win10 laptops, when they go to access a .pdf contained in one of those shares, it takes FOREVER to open (this did not and does not happen on Win7 machines). Subsequent openings of that same .pdf are quick and normal.

This slowness occurs both accessing the pdf through the DMS software or just opening the pdf directly via the UNC path itself.

Would Win10 be attempting to cache the other documents in that folder before opening the .pdf actually requested? We had a similar problem years ago on a different DMS when all our documents were stored as .tifs. The .tif viewing program was trying to cache all the other .tifs in the same folder to allow for quick/easier "next" and "previous" button use. This feels like almost the exact same thing.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
One thing Windows Explorer and the Open File common control does more of in 10 is gathering extended information about all of the files in a folder so you can mouse over them or so it can show additional details (images show icons / thumbnails, MP3s might show author info). It might also be trying to index them for the Search feature.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
One thing Windows Explorer and the Open File common control does more of in 10 is gathering extended information about all of the files in a folder so you can mouse over them or so it can show additional details (images show icons / thumbnails, MP3s might show author info). It might also be trying to index them for the Search feature.

This is all true. but I'm not navigating to the folder in Win Explorer in either case. I'm just opening the .pdf via a direct UNC link if you will
Literally clicking on a link that is \\server\folder\document.pdf

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
This is all true. but I'm not navigating to the folder in Win Explorer in either case. I'm just opening the .pdf via a direct UNC link if you will
Literally clicking on a link that is \\server\folder\document.pdf

Is this a browser link? What is the speed if you create a similar link to a ZIP file or other file that the browser would copy to the Downloads folder?

If it isn't a browser link, you could try a Windows batch file script that copies the file from the network folder to a folder on C:.

If it's slow too it might be Windows is slow in making the network connection.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Have you confirmed these are only PDF files? Are you using the same software to open in both cases or are you letting Edge do it in 10? Is the pause occurring when the PDF tries to open or when the application tries to open?

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Check event viewer see if there is something suspicious to cause the slowdown.

Also try running CCleaner to clean up the system (delete temp files, caches).

==

When you said that in that network share there are 100s of thousands pdfs, are they all in the same directory? Not categorized into different sub-directories?

And what's the default PDF file viewer on these laptops? Does it help if you change default pdf file viewer?

Last edited: