Windows 10 automatic upgrade?

swanysto

Golden Member
May 8, 2005
I was searching around for the process to remove the windows 10 update and nag screen. I noticed a few places mentioning that Windows 10 will eventually install itself automatically. Is there any truth to this? I must stay on windows for the foreseeable future, as I have legacy software that will not run on windows 10.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Here is one

https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

In July of 2015, responding to the significant user backlash, Microsoft added features to its Windows Update facility which allow it to be configured, on a machine-by-machine basis, to not forcibly upgrade qualifying Windows 7 and 8.1 operating systems to Windows 10. However, Microsoft did not make this configuration simple. It requires the use of the group policy editor (which is not present in some qualifying systems) and/or the system registry. In other words, they created some deep internal configuration options but chose not to provide a simple user-interface to give their users the choice. “Never10” provides that choice.

The elegance of this “Never 10” utility, is that it does not
install ANY software of its own. It simply and quickly
performs the required system editing for its user.

Steve Gibson is a co-host along with Leo Laporte of the show "Security Now" on

www.twit.tv

https://www.twit.tv/shows/security-now

It the utility has been mentioned in other threads about delaying or stopping the upgrade to win10

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Well, I installed it and ran it. Hopefully it works. Thanks for the info.

That Done, you should still use an imaging software (Acronis Marcuim, etc.) to keep a current copy of your whole Win 7 installation on an external HD, or and another computer.

:cool:

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Never10 should work and Steve Gibson is one of those guys that would still be running XP if it weren't end of life so you can expect this to get updated until he dies.

swanysto

Golden Member
May 8, 2005
That Done, you should still use an imaging software (Acronis Marcuim, etc.) to keep a current copy of your whole Win 7 installation on an external HD, or and another computer.

:cool:

Yeah, I will end up doing that. I am just worried that if they are going to setup automatic upgrades, that I will have to keep cloning all the time.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
For those who simply burned the bridges of their Windows 7 OS and softwares configuration, who has the "best" story about the upgrade, and who has the "worst" story?

A "best" story would come from someone savvy about driver detection and installation and who monitors their Event Logs.