Question Windows 10 autologin behavior

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Clean install Windows 10 22H2, latest updates, graphics drivers. When no Windows user passwords are configured, how to stop Windows from automatically logging into the last-used account after restart or shutdown? I know this would be the default behavior when there is only one user account on the computer, but I have created three (one admin, two standard users). I don't want to set a password at this time.

I tried first logging out all user accounts, which returns to the page (e.g. lock screen) where you select the user account you want to use. IIRC, in previous Windows, from this page, with all users logged off, if you restart the PC it will only load to this screen again. It might pre-select the last-user that was logged in, but it wouldn't automatically login any user, you could select a different one from that user account/lock screen page?

Windows 10 is not doing that anymore. It always goes straight into the last-used account. Is my memory faulty about this behavior on previous Windows? All user accounts local.