Windows 10 and GPU driver issues (**might be important**)

Kippa

Dec 12, 2011
I successfully installed a totally clean version of Windows 10 on Friday, and by clean I mean a fully wiped drive before installing Windows 10 via usb stick.

Once Windows 10 pro 64bit was installed one of the first things that I did update the system using the system update function and every thing was fine and dandy. Next thing I did was install the latest official Nvidia drivers for my graphics card (being GeForce Titan X) via the official Nvidia site. The driver that I installed was the "GeForce Windows 10 Driver - WHQL" version 353.62 release date 29 July 2015. I installed everything in the driver apart from the GeForce Experience in the options panel. The driver installed fine and have played quite a few games and it worked fine.

Now here is the interesting bit. My screen flashed today, then I checked my gfx driver in windows and the driver said it was a "basic Microsoft driver" not the latest Nvidia one that I had installed. I also noticed that I had an update in the Windows 10 updates and low and behold there was a Titan X driver that it wanted me do download and install FROM MICROSOFT. What Win 10 had done was checked my driver, seen it wasn't the official MS driver for the OS and had took it on itself to uninstall the "official" latest version (not a beta version) of the Nvidia driver and install it's own version.

As for the actual driver that MS has decided to install, it has installed this instead :

nKfEKPQ.jpg

Interestingly the driver date is the 22 July 2015 which is an OLDER version of a driver released by Nvidia.

As far as I can tell this is the only problem/issue that I am having win Windows 10. I've googled about Windows 10 and Nvidia and have found that other people are having issues as well with Win 10 uninstalling the driver and putting one that it wants to use in the OS.

From the looks of things you can install your own gfx driver but Windows 10 will uninstall it and install one that it wants to use.

Last edited:

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006
This is because the first thing you need to do after installing Windows 10 is to quickly run the Microsoft tool to hide updates and hide all driver updates or at least the Graphics Card driver so you can install your driver freely.

701569b1-1b15-4e53-8796-25412a778487.jpg

Kippa

Dec 12, 2011
Ah thanks for that Berryracer! :D To be honest I don't think it is a bad thing for MS to install the latest approved drivers, although at least I know that I have the opportunity to install my own drivers should the want/need require it.

Last edited:

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
I installed 353.62 no problem. All I did was tell Windows not to update my drivers for me. Under the computer properties. No need for that tool and it has stayed just fine.

n0x1ous

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2010
I installed 353.62 no problem. All I did was tell Windows not to update my drivers for me. Under the computer properties. No need for that tool and it has stayed just fine.

could you be more specific where this is in properties.....i am having issues with this as well.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
Right click "This PC", go to properties, then advanced system settings. Click the hardware tab and it's the drop down on the bottom.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Interestingly the driver date is the 22 July 2015 which is an OLDER version of a driver released by Nvidia.
No, it's the exact same driver build 353.62. Release date and build (or signing) date are not the same thing.