Question Windows 10/11 "S Mode", and Firefox browser market share. Could this be improved? Chromium Firefox?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
As you may or may not know, most lower-end Windows laptops come shipped in "S Mode". Which is a mode, in which you CANNOT install "normal" Win32 apps, you can ONLY install apps from the Windows Store (Universal Apps for Windows, which use a different API set).

Traditionally, myself and most of my friends and family use Firefox (not without my influence). IMHO, it's way better for privacy than Google's Chrome browser, but both are in the same boat with an "S Mode" laptop - neither can be installed directly.

This of course, would tend to cut into Firefox's market share, I feel, more than Chrome's, per se.

Firefox, when S Mode was announced, published a paper on WHY they "could not" release a version of Firefox for "S Mode" client PCs, because MS had restricted several of the APUs that they utilize, and thus could not port Firefox to "S Mode".

What I am proposing is a whole re-skinning of MS's own Chromium browser, to LOOK like Firefox, offer the same sort of site/ad/cookie-blocking that makes Firefox so popular, but compatible with an "S Mode" Windows Client. Since MS's Edge browser is Chromium-based, this should not be s surprise. I believe that Brave and Opera are also browser-engine re-skins.

I feel that with the prevalence of "S Mode" laptops out there, and the number of people "blocked" from installing "normal" Firefox, that this is the best / only way to avoid Firefox from bleeding market-share to MS's in-built browser Edge (based on Chromium).