Window Tinting

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ElMonoDelMar, Dec 7, 2012.

1. ElMonoDelMar

ElMonoDelMar Senior member

I'm looking to get some window tinting done on my car. I've never had a car with anything other than factory tint before. I spend a lot of time in my car during daylight and thought it would be nice to keep the eyestrain down and help me work on my laptop without screen glare in the summer.

My sister had her car done a few years back and the place did a good job. I figured I would just take my care there to have it done. Is there anything I should look out for? I'm planning on getting the max tint allowable by my state (IL). Will I be opening myself up for tickets if I travel to a state with stricter tinting laws?

2. DominionSeraph

DominionSeraph Diamond Member

Of course you'll be opening yourself up to tickets going from "legal" to "illegal." I don't know how big a problem it would actually be, but being a safety, officer safety, and state's rights issue I know that I'd be pulling out-of-staters over left and right if I was a cop in a state that only allowed 70%.

3. DaTT

DaTT Garage Moderator

I used to have 2.5% on the back and 15% on the front. 25% is the legal level for fronts and i only got pulled over once, but no ticket. It does make driving at night a pain in the ass sometimes.

4. ElMonoDelMar

That's what I figured. I think IL has pretty strict tinting laws so I would suspect there aren't a lot of states that would pose me much trouble.

That is part of the trade off.

5. ProchargeMe

ProchargeMe Senior member

Take it to the shop to get it done. The place i took my car to gave me a lifetime warranty on the tint. 100% replaced if there's even a single bubble. Tint has been on for about 8 months, not a single problem. The cops in SC aren't really bad about pulling people over for tint so I'm good.

6. DominionSeraph

DominionSeraph Diamond Member

http://www.tintlaws.com/

Looks like the problems in your region would be MN (50% across with no front), IA (70% front), and PA if you're coming East.

7. ElMonoDelMar

WI also. They require 50% front.

8. Insomniator

Insomniator Diamond Member

So what do you guys think about replacing factory tint? My mini has fairly light tint... I'd like to go real dark. Does removing factory tint cost a lot; can I do that part myself?

Luckily no % restrictions in NJ

9. NutBucket

NutBucket Lifer

Factory tint usually is integrated in the glass...that is you can't remove it. Just add more :)

10. Vetterin

Vetterin Senior member

Yep, it's 35% all around in IL but it still keeps the car much cooler in the summer. Well worth the price if excessive heat is your concern.

11. ElMonoDelMar

It is for me. For some reason I decided to buy a black car. Now If I could only find a way to keep it clean for more than 2 hours I'd be set.

12. Vetterin

Vetterin Senior member

I know what you mean..........................but when it IS clean you can just sit and admire it for days!

13. NutBucket

NutBucket Lifer

You can't admire it for days since it'll be dirty in two hours! ;)