Window AC for computer room?

lizardth

Golden Member
Oct 5, 2005
Our computer room faces west (no we can't switch rooms). I have the blinds closed, the curtins cover those and the ceiling fan on high. Our poor little central unit can't cope with 3 machines running 24/7. And to top it all off we've been expirenceing record high weather the last 14 days here in Cen Tex.
When we get home in the afternoon that room has been 80 F (26.6 C)

Anyone have one of these? Reccomendations? Room is approx 10x10' or 10x12'
AC cannot be mounted with more than a simple window mount. (no screws)
Price >$150

We've looked at a couple of Frigidaire and GE at Best Buy and Sam's in the $120 range...

Rudy Toody

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2006
Another option is a standing air conditioner that has a duct that goes to the window. You don't need a wide sill.

Check the watts of heat from the PC's and convert that to BTU's to see what size is best.

Rudy Toody

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2006
Another option would be a couple of strapping young men waving palm fronds!

geokilla

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2006
26.6C isn't high. We got some sort of heat wave last week in Toronto, night time it was like 23C and afternoon was around 30C for a few days straight. I didn't turn the AC on till the thermostat registered 28.8C lol. Upstairs was pretty hot but nothing that we couldn't handle. Downstairs in the basement, it was hella cool.

I recall seeing some sort of AC units in Target for cheap last weekend when I was down at Buffalo. I'm not sure if they're the ones you're looking for, but they were around $100.

lizardth

Golden Member
Oct 5, 2005
Unfortunately floor space is at a preimum in the room so unless there is some FANTASTIC advantage to a floor unit then a window unit is best.

And the temp 80F (26.6C) was in the house. Outside it was 106F (41C) and it was staying over 100F (37.7C) until 9pm. UGH!!!!!

I will check at Target too :)

somethingsketchy

Golden Member
Nov 25, 2008
I would say your options are rather limited at this point. While I haven't tried a free standing AC unit, I would imagine that if they work just as well as window units, then the former option is your only choice.

Personally I've stopped folding for the summer because of the heat here in Vermont. Plus electrical costs haven't played so nicely as of late.

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003
Originally posted by: somethingsketchy
I would say your options are rather limited at this point. While I haven't tried a free standing AC unit, I would imagine that if they work just as well as window units, then the former option is your only choice.

Personally I've stopped folding for the summer because of the heat here in Vermont. Plus electrical costs haven't played so nicely as of late.

This isn't just a crunching thing though. It will soon be too hot to go in the office to use the computers. Plus with the server in there, turning off all computers isn't necessarily an option.

Freewolf

Diamond Member
Feb 15, 2001
Try Walmart, i have a 5000 btu Arctic King unit I purchased from there a few years ago for that price and it is still running strong. I currently have 3 dual cores and 1 quad core plus 2, 8800gts , 1, 9600 gt, and 1, 9800gt crunching in that room. Outside temps here in Pensacola pretty close to yours.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I bought a 5000BTU Frigidaire window unit for a friend a couple of years back at BestBuy for $99. Now they're $150.