Win8, Logitech Touchpad T650 and SetPoint, oh and Chrome

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
This is getting unreal. At one point I managed to get it to work, but everything has refused to cooperate regardless of how many times I uninstall and reinstall the Logitech software.

Currently:

the Logitech Unifying Receiver does not recognize itself when I load up it's utility (Windows, however, sees it in Devices).
SetPoint 6.50 does not give me any device settings to edit.

When all this is installed, or at least in a failed state like this, I also cannot scroll in Chrome - using either the touchpad or my G700's scroll wheel. Yet, I can continue to scroll just fine in every other application ("Metro" or Desktop, it all works).

1) I need scrolling in Chrome. This is beyond ridiculous.

2) Without SetPoint working correctly, I cannot get all the gestures, which is very annoying.

At one point I actually had all that working, and then it stopped, and then I got some seriously insane issues where I was getting repeating sounds and a non-stop keypressing of 8 - whenever a text selection box was up, it was filling up with 88888888888... and this I imagine was causing the repeating audio issues, not to mention preventing most interaction with Windows since things would load and get selected when I got into menus. That was a frustrating exercise last night, got everything uninstalled and now I'm trying to get things back.
Even before that moment, when everything was installed and working correctly, the settings would fail after a reboot or something. I have a solution in mind to get everything to stick permanently (has to due with the hibernation file and, most likely fast-boot -- had an issue with my Creative X-Fi settings not sticking).

If I can get this working, it will appear that my upgrade from my Windows 7 install to Windows 8 (direct upgrade with all apps/settings) will have been a success. I had a few other issues, now resolved, though I imagine a few more will pop up when I do something or use some app that I rarely ever touch, but that's expected.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Well, figured out one issue:

Logitech installs a Setpoint extension in Chrome for smooth scrolling (for Logitech mice). That, coupled with a smooth scrolling extension I already had installed and enabled, caused a conflict that removed mouse-based scrolling entirely. Now with only the Setpoint extension enabled (will have to try the reverse of that, see which I prefer), scrolling is working.

Now to get the bloody Setpoint app to give me settings for the T650.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
We're getting somewhere...

To save explaining on two different forums (I'm trying to get input at the logitech.com support forums, so far with the same success I have had here :p), I'm just going to copy and paste it this time:

------------
So, it turns out that if I kill Setpoint and instead select Run As Administrator, it'll all of a sudden go "Oh, wow! There really is a Mousing device installed, one for which I will gladly provide configuration options! Why didn't you tell me, you dunce!"

But... this defeats the entire purpose of the darn program.

This has to be able to set to autorun on boot, without requiring any prompts, so that I can use it. I can't use it to swipe up at the lock screen, for instance, if it's running as admin (at least, it appeared that way before reboot).

I imagine I could probably set Run as Administrator for the program, but unless I'm understanding it wrong, I would be required to prove elevated permissions upon autostart. Which... hell, I might as well just disable autostart and run it myself. And all that can only be taken care of after boot.

What gives? How can I get this program to do it's job without requiring administrator privelege? Or am I even misunderstanding the autostart and priveleges issue?

The Unifying software also, when ran as Admin, instantly recognizes that both a Unifying receiver is installed AND a device is available to pair.

What do I have to do to get all of this to play nice so that it can do its job in the background without requiring any interaction from my whatsoever? Isn't that supposed to be the premise behind all of this?
------------