Win8 Exclusive DirectX 11.1

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by tweakboy, Nov 12, 2012.

1. tweakboy

tweakboy Diamond Member

A recent forum post by Microsoft employee Daniel Moth indicates that DirectX 11.1 is exclusive to Windows 8, much the way DirectX 10 was not released for versions of Windows before Vista, saying it is integrated into the new version of the operating system. Here's word on where this stands right now: "DirectX 11.1 is part of Windows 8, just like DirectX 11 was part of Windows 7. DirectX 11 was made available for Vista .... but at this point there is no plan for DirectX 11.1 to be made available on Windows 7." Neowin was told "we have nothing further to share" after contacting Microsoft for further comment on this. The biggest difference between DirectX 11.1 and DirectX 11 seems to be native stereoscopic 3D support, so this should not impact serious gamers anyway.

Moved to operating systems forum
    Shmee

#1 tweakboy, Nov 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2012
  2. tviceman

tviceman Diamond Member

I hope Steam's Linux beta is successful and garners more publisher support. I am buying a dedicated hard drive soon for Linux and will happily boot up to that as much as possible for gaming. I know it can't happen overnight, but if Linux actually, FINALLY, starts getting more support from AAA developers, a true alternative to the shackles of Microsoft's third party treatment of PC gamers can finally be claimed.

3. ShintaiDK

ShintaiDK Lifer

The issue is SP2 for Windows 7 is dropped. Not that there are any forms of limitations like there was from XP to Vista.

4. Face2Face

Face2Face Diamond Member

If DirectX 11.1 is anything like 10.1, then they can keep it...

5. KompuKare

KompuKare Senior member

Hm, that's it exactly isn' it? XP and Vista+ did have a different driver model so when Microsoft said that DX10 could not be backported to XP they had a legit reason but I was unaware of Microsoft having any technical reason why DX11.1 cannot be backported.

And if there isn't one, this is just Microsoft attempting to force Windows 8 onto people who might otherwise never want it. Win7 not getting SP2 is already a bit suspect. Guess there's no point in telling Microsoft that lots of people have zero reason for wanting Metro application on their computer?

6. ShintaiDK

ShintaiDK Lifer

There is absolutely no reason to buy Windows 8 over Windows 7 just because of DX11.1.

I dont think its to force people to buy Windows 8 either. Its simply because they have trouble keeping the platforms up to date. MS right now is in a huge state of chaos. Thats what all the MS people I know keep telling me.

Windows 8 will cost Ballmer his head. And I have a feeling MS will have to revert to its core business that its putting at risk right now. And then drop all the retarded attempts in the phone and tablet segments with specialzied products. inside MS there are already talk about dropping WinRT. And if Nokia goes belly up or jump to android, then WP is completely dead too.

#6 ShintaiDK, Nov 12, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  7. imaheadcase

imaheadcase Diamond Member

Yah windows 8 offers nothing over win 7 for gamers. DX 11.1 is just a minor revision.

8. balane

balane Senior member

They can keep the phone and tablet development all they wish and more power too them, but don't try to dumb down people's desktop computers and laptops to the weakest device in the chain. That's exactly the reason transparency was removed, so my expensive computers like somebody's cell phone.

9. aaksheytalwar

aaksheytalwar Diamond Member

Windows 8 is a far more stable and faster OS if used properly. If you use Corel or other pro apps etc then windows 7 doesn't stand a chance in front of win 8.

10. tweakboy

tweakboy Diamond Member

I use classic explorer shell ,,,, free app that has many options and brings back start menu ..... Its the sweetest OS once you have that app. I boot right into the Desktop not Metro. On my other monitor I bring up metro so I use both at same time. But ya no productivity can be done on Metro, but my bottom monitor has my desktop with all the Windows 8 interface changes, flat not juicy and big now,, its all flat interface their skin their changes in the explorer part is huge!!! They didn't just build metro and that's it ... They enhanced Windows 7 interface to finally something pleasing,, it doesn't even let you change fonts ,, because they are already soo crisp and amazing,,,, the copy screens are different the exrplorer screens are like Office now,,,,,, and now when you click files and highlight it tells you simple on the bottom, no fancy stuff and say you selected these many items,, without telling you the size.

11. Mem

Mem Lifer

Are you guys surprised?....they did the same with Vista etc....personally don't see the big deal,DX11.1 is a minor update IMHO and if you really need it as a gamer well its cheaper to buy Win8 then it is to buy a modern game or upgrade your video card etc ..so not an issue.

I'll say I like Win8 and don't use a Start menu add-on,you don't need it,as a gamer/desktop user more then happy with Win8,stable,fast,plays all my games and its really easy to navigate,as usual people blow things out of proportion,too bad I can't send them on DOS 6.22 for a few years and get them to run games and make sure they got enough expanded memory to the run the game lol...

#11 Mem, Nov 12, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  12. -Slacker-

-Slacker- Golden Member

Some of this stuff sounds like it improves performance in one way or another...

13. Dominato3r

Dominato3r Diamond Member

Does Windows 7 need SP2?

14. Maximilian

Maximilian Lifer

I hear ya...

Im a linux noob and have never seriously considered it before. I screwed about with ubuntu 6 i think it was? after vista came out, i liked the cool names, gutsy gibbon! hardy heron! but was never really sold on it. After seeing where windows 8 is going though well i have to say... its been a fun ride MS but i want off :colbert: Installing a hacked start menu wont change what they want for the future of windows and that is an apple like locked system with nothing but metro.

Now with steam coming over and l4d2, maybe dota2 in the future (i can hope), definitely planetary annihilation on linux i as a gamer would be willing to switch to it. Ive done my research and found linux equivalents for the everyday stuff i use, quite a few are the exact same program but just running under linux. Im good to go as soon as steam moves over.

Ill keep a windows install for legacy gaming, if MS wants to relegate desktop apps to legacy status that's fine, ill relegate their OS to legacy status in my setup :cool:

15. ViRGE

ViRGE Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus

16. Mem

Mem Lifer

Half a bone for Win7 users,basically they don't get all the features ie they don't get these,

17. ViRGE

ViRGE Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus

Most of that stuff is for supporting SoC GPUs anyhow. Other than the S3D support, I don't think we're missing out on a ton.

18. Mem

Mem Lifer

I'm ok got three PCs on Win8 ;) ,besides be quite awhile before we see DX11.1 games.

19. Arkaign

Arkaign Lifer

Devs who would mandate DX 11.1 would be shooting themselves in the foot, we're only just now getting to the point where XP is not supported by many major titles. Limiting yourself to Win8 would cause a game to get tons of bad press and a fraction of the installed base of Win7.

Maybe by late 2014 to mid 2015 this will change.

20. colonelciller

colonelciller Senior member

1) nonsense
    2) coreldraw is not an 'app'

21. colonelciller

colonelciller Senior member

even if win 9 (non-metro successor to win 7) is released in 2014 with dx11.1 you would still not see it as a gaming prequisite for another several years after that.

2019 maybe

22. bigrash

bigrash Lifer

So is DX11 built in to Windows 8?

23. Mem

Mem Lifer

Win8 has DX11

#24 Mem, Nov 16, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  24. piasabird

piasabird Lifer

Microsoft is probably not supporting windows 7 in an attempt to force users to buy Windows 8! This is a violation of their monopolistic power. On a side note, when vista was in trouble they assigned a lot of people from other departments to get the 1st support pack done for Vista. Microsoft is in trouble and they know it.

Another complaint is there is just no touchscreen hardware available except for maybe some tablets.

#25 piasabird, Nov 16, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012