Win7: Whats the diff between the power button setting in Control panel & Start menu?

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
i want to disable the power button on my keyboard.

google has provided 2 ways of doing this:
1) Control Panel-> Power Options
2) Right click on Start button-> Properties-> Power button action

but Changing one doesnt change the other?!

Whats the diff between these 2?

hennessy1

Golden Member
Mar 18, 2007
I believe the start menu option changes what that button does. The control panel>power options changes the physical button result on your case. i.e. When you press the power button on your case will it go to sleep or initiate the shut down process.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
I believe the start menu option changes what that button does. The control panel>power options changes the physical button result on your case. i.e. When you press the power button on your case will it go to sleep or initiate the shut down process.

This.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001

why doesnt the start menu one give u an option to do nothing?

i changed it to 'switch user.'
i guess thats the least aggravating choice if i accidently hit the keyboard power button (again).

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001

no, the start menu power setting has nothing to do w/the power button on kybd.
i just shut down my computer, again. :(

going to set Start menu power back to shutdown, and set control panel power option to Do nothing.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
no, the start menu power setting has nothing to do w/the power button on kybd.
i just shut down my computer, again. :(

going to set Start menu power back to shutdown, and set control panel power option to Do nothing.

I believe he was talking about the button on your case (or laptop), not on your keyboard. Your keyboard's software settings should dictate what that button does.