win7 ult to win 10

Essence_of_War

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2013
I have win7 ult, and I have a code through my employer for win 10 educational that can be used at home for personal use on any computer that has an existing windows installation, and I don't need to uninstall it if I leave my employer yada yada.

The upgrade instructions are to do the microsoft upgrade, which takes you to win 10 pro, then use the code to upgrade that to educational.

Can I do the following:
1) Upgrade the existing installation to win 10 pro
2) Prepare an installation media
3) Do a clean win10 pro install
4) Now use my code to upgrade that to win 10 educational.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
OP, do you really mean "educational"? Or do you mean, "enterprise"?

I've never heard of an "educational" SKU. I've heard of "Academic" editions of MS developer tools. They were as complete as the "Professional" ones, just with different licensing. You could legally use them to learn programming, but you weren't allowed to compile commercial applications with it.

But a "Windows Educational"? Never heard of it. And if you already have Win7 Ult, and qualify for an upgrade to Win10 Pro, why not just use that? What benefit does the "educational" version have?

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
OP, do you really mean "educational"? Or do you mean, "enterprise"?

I've never heard of an "educational" SKU. I've heard of "Academic" editions of MS developer tools. They were as complete as the "Professional" ones, just with different licensing. You could legally use them to learn programming, but you weren't allowed to compile commercial applications with it.

But a "Windows Educational"? Never heard of it. And if you already have Win7 Ult, and qualify for an upgrade to Win10 Pro, why not just use that? What benefit does the "educational" version have?

Education sku exists. It has mostly the same features as enterprise.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Education sku exists. It has mostly the same features as enterprise.

Interesting. Does it have integrated Kiosk / DeepFreeze / MS SteadyState support? I could see that as a necessary feature on a version of Windows made for schools.

Essence_of_War

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2013
There is a decent comparison here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_editions

win10 educational is basically enterprise w/o the Long Term Service branch.

I mean, I could, but I figured if I wanted to do a clean install of win 10, why not do it to Win 10 educational rather than win 10 pro.

Suppose I decided to just stick with pro, is it hard to do a clean install from the win7 ult -> win 10 pro upgrade? I know win 8/8.1/10 have made it really easy to prepare an install media, but do I need like a win 10 pro code? I don't have one of those, I only have my original win 7 ult code, and my win 10 education code.

(In case its relevant to the clean install, I'm doing legacy boot, no secure boot, no bitlocker, and I'm dual-booting ubuntu 14.04, soon to be upgraded to 16.04 on the same physical SSD)

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I have one of the edu versions of 10 sitting unused so it is a real version of the mix.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Why not just upgrade the Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10 for free through MS? Then you have W10 Pro non-academic and you can use it for commercial reasons if you need.